Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Storage not found

8 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 55 min ago. Offline

Image-001

Today I received a schedule file that had a couple of references to a storage not found.

I found the first reference was in the previous version used for comparison, a not so obvious issue. I set resource leveling option to previous version and erased the reference. Then got back to the resource leveling option and re-set to original setting - advanced.

I got a second reference to a Baseline not available in my computer and fixed it by setting the current schedule as the baseline. The solution was obvious.

• Is there an easier way?
  • If not could it be programmed for user to select to erase the reference within the dialog box?

Best Regards, Rafael

Replies

Rafael Davila

Bogdan,

Both are good to have, your suggestions are very welcomed. Before making any changes I would save the report for future reference, better than saving a backup version as it will disclose all such references. Would not be surprised if this is what Vladimir is considering, perhaps this and more.

Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Vladimir,

I agree that editable fields should be where they belong (project properties, scheduling, risk analysis, etc.). It would be of help to have more detail about the component that has a missing storage but also to be able to see all references (just see, such as a report).

Best regards,
Bogdan

Bogdan,

some of these references are project properties: baseline, compared version, portfolios where this project belongs,

others are scheduling properties: previous version that was used in previous version support option, specific portfolio that shall be considered in scheduling.

So it looks like project properties that can be displayed include baseline, compared version, portfolios (can be many) where this project belongs, and the way project schedule was calculated (Project portfolio that was considered and previous version if these options were selected).

But storage not found message still can appear and must be more concrete.

Bogdan Leonte
Vladimir, if I may: I see two possible options. 1. Centralize all references under a new tab in the project properties menu; 2. Display all references as read only under the project properties. This way the user can set/see all links to other projects/portfolios/versions in one place. Best regards bogdan

Good idea, will think about the right place for this information.

Bogdan Leonte

Why not create a standard report in spider (similar to the schedule statistics) in which you include all links to other files. This way the user can manually delete them. It is manual, but at least you know all the links to other files.

Or better it in the schedule_statistics report add some more rows:
Project Baseline file: Name/Storage
Project Portfolio file: Name/Storage
Project Comparison file: Name/Storage
Project Previous file: Name/Storage
Project Version for Scheduling: Name/Storage
If the value is blank then there is no reference.

Best Regards,
Bogdan

Rafael Davila

Maybe a solution would be an option to temporarily ignore the reference.

Rafael,

in these cases it is necessary not only to remove the reference but to select the new way of project leveling or the new baseline. We will think about your proposal.

Thank you,

Vladimir