Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Training for PMO Professionals - suggestions?

2 replies [Last post]
John McIntyre
User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

In my experience, people who have successful PMO careers have a broad skills base. They are generalists who have skills that bridge the gap between project and operations; finance and creative; orators and the industrious. But when it comes to the types of training PMO professionals seek out, it always seems to be depressingly narrow. The focus is on either qualifications in project frameworks, or on PMO certifications such as P3O

Looking around, there are lots of courses that could not only help PMO professionals in terms of their personal development, but could help the organizations they work for too. I've pulled a few examples of training courses that will boost PMO professionals' careers over at HotPMO.com , but I'm keen to hear your ideas too. Thoughts?

Replies

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 3 days 14 hours ago. Offline

The PMI-SP currently covers off most of the skills needed for a PMO manager / team lead -  it has a much wider scope than just scheduling: http://www.planning-controls.com.au/pmisp-courses/

Coming soon - The Guild will have modules covering the full scope at several levels of advancement. 

John McIntyre
User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Replying to my own post :)

The more I think about it, Data Analytics is an area where I think PMOs could develop. Many businesses I have worked with are screaming out for people with the ability to convert data into actionable MI. I've added more thoughts about it here: http://www.hotpmo.com/blog/pmo-big-data