Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

new career comments good or bad

3 replies [Last post]
Marc De Vall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi people
I know im not qualified yet but my names marc,ive spent 28 years in construction,hands on and 2 years in the rail sector,working from trackman up to controller of site safety and then possession planner,i have self funded IOSH and MS PROJECT and in november im self funding my P3 and P6 courses,as i enjoyed planning and want this as my career,i am determined and if you please bear with me one day i will be able to relate to you guys on a proffesional level,any words of encouragement glady received good or bad,thank you for reading this.

Replies

Marc De Vall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Many thanks guys your comments are encouraging,thank you
Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Marc,

You ll def get sucess, as you have mentioned you have got exp of 28 yrs thats the huge experiance.

Experiance is the biggest asset for you. Ass mike said you can start your own company as well.

All the Best.

Cheers,
Abhi

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Marc

You are going about things the right way round - your extensive experience in actually constructing things will be a massive benefit.

You have obviously researched the number of rail related jobs currently on the Job Page.

The decision you now have to make is whether to go contract or stay on PAYE.

If you form a limited company and - with the help of a good accountant - you can generate a good rate and a much lower tax burden.

After a year or two planning the work it will be time to move into the delay analysis market and put your rates up dramatically.

Welcome on board.

Mike Testro