Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to work in UK as a Planner

16 replies [Last post]
Nikhil Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 17 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all!
I wish to work in UK not only for the remuniration part but also to learn and become and real good planner .I am a resident of India.The problem is getting a work permit and I have no idea how to go about it.
Currently I am working as a Assistant Manager in reputed PMC.
Any suggestions??

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Carmen,

That great.

It looks like "Da Vinci Code" in the making, maybe someday it will be real.

Anyway Im a believer on "FOR EVERY MAN’s SUCCESS, THERE IS ALWAYS A WOMAN BEHIND".

Cheers,

Charlie
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Chris, Charlie, Richard and to ALL

I found the following TEXT on my new cubicle. The author is anonymous and he understood perfectly the point.

I wanted to share with you:

ONE PROJECT- DIFFERENT VIEWS

PROJECT MANAGER is a person who thinks nine women can deliver a baby in one month.

CONSTRUCTION MANAGER is one who thinks single woman can deliver nine babies in ONE month.

CONTROLS MANAGER is one who asks if the baby is in the budget (and if it saves money to adopt).

PROJECT ENGINEER is a person who thinks he can deliver a baby even IF no man and woman are available.

INSTRUMENT ENGINEER is a person who thinks It will take 18 months to deliver a baby.

PROCESS ENGINEERS are the ones who think at eight months into the pregnancy that the baby’s sex is wrong.

CLIENT is the one who doesn’t know WHY he wants a baby.

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING is still figuring out how to produce a baby.

PROCUREMENT buy condoms by mistake.

PLANNING TEAM thinks they don’t need a man or a woman; they’ll produce a child with ZERO resources.

DOC. CONTROL TEAM thinks they don’t care whether the child is delivered, they’ll just document 9 months.

QUALITY AUDITOR is the person who is never happy with the process to produce a baby.

PIPING PEOPLE don’t care…… they just want the woman.
---------
After reading this TEXT, I went to talk to a piping guru. Read this an give me your opinion bout "piping people". He said , carmen is right, the problem is: there is no woman in the TEAM.

Nice day,
carmen
Charleston-Joseph...
Chris, Carmen, Richard and to all,

You see, i really find it hard to grasp the speech of native born english, maybe persons living near london bridge.

I’m used to the American english because since I was a small boy I watched a lot/too many hollywood movies, also the American colonize our country, so in general, I was brought up under American influence.

Written English is not a problem to me. Pictures as mode of communication is also not a problem to me.

But the day to day conversation with native born english people is really scary to me.

So how did i overcome my shortcomming. "SIGN LANGUAGE, BODY LANGUAGE, FACIAL EXPRESSION, GESTURES."

So in any situation where there is a gap in communication due to different culture, nationalities, tribes, etc. big chance "SIGN LANGUAGE, BODY LANGUAGE, FACIAL EXPRESSION, GESTURES." will help in bridging the gap of communication.

Actually all our answers are great.

Cheers,

Charlie
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
"A picture is worth a thousand words", remember though, it took words to say that. With communication the way you do it depends on what is to be communicated, the situation, the audience and a whole load of other things as well.

What Carmen has said about the example of good communication being set by top management is valid. But they have to get it right otherwise the example becomes negative. I addition an essential part of communication is feedback from the recipients so that the person doing the communicating can get some idea of whether they’ve been successful or not. So the person doing the communicating must choose the method appropriate to the information to be communicated and the audience receiving it and seek feedback both during and after the communication process.

As to Charlie’s question "What mode of communication is the most effective????" The one best suited to the audience and the information, not necessarily the one the communicator feels most comfortable with. For example, would you attempt to communicate the terms of a contract using pictures?

That’s enough from me, perhaps Charlie has something he wants to add.

Chris Oggham
Carmen Arape
Charlie/ Richard,

I am really pleased with your threads. It seems that I just push the right button on a matter that we all are suffering. The matter is “communication”.

Richard – pictures, 4D .Nowadays all the technology is there for improving the way of communicating BUT It does not happen.

Charlie: Most effective – Mode of communicating. There are several BUT why we suffer lack of or inadequate communication.

My opinion: The highest level in the organization must give an example of good communication. The process is like a water fall, from top to down not the opposite. And besides Why are the managers for ??? Sometimes I see that managers just talk to managers BUT What about US, the ones working at middle-low level.

Cheers,
carmen
Charleston-Joseph...
Richard,

That is great.

Any more answeres:

Carmen - you started this communication skill, please

Chris - for the good time, any answer

To all PP - any answere

Cheers,

charlie
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello to Carmen, Chris, Richard and to all,

It is a nice plannet after all.

I agree to all the post, your ideas, etc.

Communication skill - the greatest.

Question???

What mode of communication is the most effective????

This is the most effective communication skills irrespective of nationalities working in multi-cultural environment. It was with human since the discovery of homo sapiens.

Answer: ????

Cheers,

Charlie
Carmen Arape
Chris /Richard,

I have to add something new to my last thread.

Very important for being a good planner is communication.
Ability to talk with everyone and get accurate information and not rubbish.
Ability to be ready for debate with the gurus of every discipline.
Ability to interact in a multicultural team where English is the official language BUT It is not the mother tongue to anyone.

Good planner = excellent communication skills

Cheers,
Carmen
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Richard/Carmen,

You have summed up the situation exactly and I completely agree with you.

Chris Oggham
Carmen Arape
Charlie,

Charlie,

I do not believe in taking PMP therefore you will get the opportunity in UK to become a good PLANNER. REPEAT, good planner you can be everywhere with or without PMP.

I recommend PMP theory and practice as a mean to have solid knowledge that he might never put in practice. I DO believe that refreshing your knowledge will give you more personal rewards than enythingh else.

Cheers,
Carmen

Charleston-Joseph...
Jaikishan / Carmen,

How meaningful PMP theory and practice really on that side of the Planet, meaning UK?

Are there statistics?

Im saying this because we may give false hope that PMP title holders wll be a ticket in working to UK.

Please be careful.

cheers,

charlie

Jaikishan Bhagcha...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Applying thru this web site is advisable. Some Indian Companies, who got project over there are recruiting very easily and calls are being received by various peoples.

But it is advisable to proceed for PmP always , which is basic passport and prime requirement over there, and direct call from Abroad companies can be received and Visa etc will be arranged by them.
Carmen Arape
I am not sure about working IN UK you will become a REAL good planner.

A good planner you can be everywhere or where opportunities are. I have been doing outstanding works as well a not very outstanding. It has to do with the TEAM, the management who is demanding information from planning among others.

Fully agree with Charleston about destiny and think positive.

MEANWHILE the opportunity comes, getting a formal qualification like PMP would be a good IDEA.

Greets,
carmen
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Alternatively you can mirgrate to UK first then find a job is easy.

Otherwise keep applying jobs in PP, because the trade (Planner) is becoming more and more demanding, so employer is interested to go extra mile to get a good planner anywhere in this world. And of course to become a more regonised in planning world get a formal qualification like PMP or a Master degree

Good Luck

Alex
Nikhil Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 17 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie & Richard,

Thaks a lot showing intrest in my problem.

I’ve been applying to Planning Planet jobs, but no positive responce so for.

Is there any other way out? Can I send my CV to Placement Consultants (In that case, I don’t know where exactly I’m supposed to send my cv) OR if anubody knows of any job oppertunities I can send my CV to concerned directly.

Regards,
Nikhil

Charleston-Joseph...
Hi,

Keep applying thru Planning Planet.

If your destiny will be to work in UK, then, it will happen someday.

always have that "positive outlook" or believe in the POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING.

cheers,

Charlie