Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What to do?

9 replies [Last post]
Suraj Bhatt
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi to all!
I need advice from experienced people.
This is my first organization. When I had joined, it had a strong Project Controls department (Bechtel was the consultant) but gradually (Bechtel contract over)the procedures loosened, attrition rate is high all over and was the same here. Now I am the only planner left
(there were 4 once). Responsibilities are good but the new management(management changed too) does not take planning seriously. The learning experience I had initially is not the same anymore.
Should I leave or take this as a challenge and try to win over the management to rely more on planning/scheduling??

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Surjat,

You hang on. Your experience with Betchel is worth it. No other in your teams know how to do it but you.

Cheers,

Charlie
Suraj Bhatt
What you say is 100% true.But while working I observed that it’very easy and effective to monitor a project if I have done the construction planning and schedule myself.To monitor someone else schedule is a pain {deleted by Moderator.].Let’s see...
Regards,
Suraj
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi suraj,

Considering your experience, I don’t have to tell you but some points I would like to mention.

1) Scheduling is only one of the aspects of planning.
2) In large organizations there will be more than one schedulers working under the planner.
3) A construction planner, as opposed to a scheduler, becomes one not by going to a class or reading about how to do it from a book, but from actual experience out in the field – and lots of it.
4) It can be said that to be an effective scheduler you also need to be a planner, but
you can be a planner, and not a scheduler. You can plan how to build a project
and not need to know how to input that plan into some scheduling software
program.
5) The two disciplines are separate on one hand and linked on the other. In some
circles the two terms are synonymous with one another. In construction they are
not and knowing one discipline does not automatically make you knowledgeable
and proficient in the other.

6) I think by getting two people to take care of scheduling you are getting more time to devote for actual planning which calls for much more skills than a scheduling.

Regards,

Manu.

P.S For Points 3,4 and 5 I am indebted to various literatures regarding planning.

Suraj Bhatt
Thanks Manulal!
Our project is big by Indian standards.we are developing around 10000acres of land.To my respite ,two new planners are joing in new year.But again things are not to my liking as I have been made incharge for full project monitoring and the new guys would be joining as shedulers.I personally believe that both should be intergrated and not separated.
I’ll start a new post with the question "Can scheduling and monitoring be separated and handled by different individuals?"
Regards,
Suraj
manulal inasu
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Goodday to you Suraj.

In my opinion,(its only my opinion and others may disagree)

1)If you can manage your present company’s projects alone(compared to the four you had earlier) it is better to stay.

If your management is not interested in planning department that means they have better MIS other than that from the planning department and their production dep may be capable of doing a good job even with out a planner. It may also depend on the size of your projects.

2)If you think that you have to sharpen your skills and need more experience and from that point of view if you find the present position as not of any help, better go for a shift.

All the best.

Manu.
Suraj Bhatt
Hi Balaji!
Thanks for the advice.I have decided to give few more months to the job and if things do not look bright I’ll definitely change.
Reagrds,
Suraj
Balaji Surendiran
User offline. Last seen 12 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Suraj...
Previuosly i was working in Muscat as Planning Engineer, even i had the same problem u have now. Its better to go for a job shift becaz its not that easy to change the things in the organization by a single soul.

Balaji
bala_vrce@yahoo.com
Suraj Bhatt
Thanks Andy!
That is of help!
Regards,
Suraj
Andy McLean-Reid
User offline. Last seen 17 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Suraj

I have sympathy for your position (I’m ex-Bechtel staff) and have often found that unless Project Management are subject to a level of discipline concerning Project Controls things can easily slide.

I’ve been in organisations where there is no history of Project Control and I have had to win the hearts and minds of the organisation nn order to establish certain processes. People need to see value added. Generaly I set out to convince the responsible party that my programmes/cost control/reporting structure is designed to cover his/her @rse. A bit base I know, but by appealling to peoples sense of self protection you can generally get them on side.

It is also good to emphasise how this method of working advertises their achievements. Sometimes it is not all about fulfilling contractual requirements, be visual - print KPI’s large and loud to demonstrate progress, print summarisedd programmes on A0 size paper to show likewise.

Ultimately though, all your enthusiasm and leadership will be wasted if the organisation is simply not interested. Naturally it is your call, but remember that it is an option - you can always move on to a place where your skills are appreciated. The only way I think you can decide that is by talking to the individuals concerned, informally , and ask them if you are wasting your time. There is a fine line between whinging and genuine enquirey - so keep your heart pure and leave any grudges at the reception desk.

Good luck in your endeavours and be sure that you are not the first to find themselves in this position.

One day this too will pass :-)

Andy