Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help!

9 replies [Last post]
Ivan M
User offline. Last seen 18 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everyone.

I hope I don’t get into trouble for this, I need to ask for some advice.

I want to do Project Management as my profession and I have been looking into doing a course in this area. One I am looking at doing is from Project Management Institute from seeklearning.com.au. I want to know if anyone has some advice on how to get started in this whole career part and if doing a course is the best way?

Thank you for your help and if this type of topic is not OK, I am really sorry.

Replies

Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Chrlie
When you answer a mail do you ever read what the question is first
Papua
try north Nigeria
Yemen
Project management what happened no power so no P3
Im lost
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ivan,

It is also very important to choose the company you work. A lot of companies still have not heard of PMP or PMI much more Six Sigma or Prince.

If you’re lucky to land a job where project management theory pattern with PMI, then that will be an exception.

Somettimes in 2000 to 2001, I did a job in Papua New Guinea with one of the biggest company in that side of the continent and we did had project management practice, but the day to day activity is more on survival in the jungle.

The point is depending on the company and job location, you have to decide PMI project management theory and practice or survival.

Whatever you’re thinking, one thing for sure, if you got PMP certification big chance you will be paid higher compared to your colleague that don’t have one.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Steve,

I agree with you regarding the birth of Six Sigma 15 years ago. However, during Six Sigma infancy, the IT world make use of it. It was only lately that big construction company notice Six Sigma importance and started sending their management to continuing professional education and securing Six Sigma certification.

A lot of big name in construction still prefer to have their management team go for PMP certification.

And of course most medium size and small construction company dont know that PMP or Six Sigma exist.

Norman Yeh
User offline. Last seen 15 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi planner,

I know the performance indices (CPI, SPI) are not new tool comparing with Six Sigma. But it seems very useful.
Does anyone know what kind of software can show these CPI and SPI curve? Or we have to plot by Excel?

Regards,

Norman
Steve Craine
User offline. Last seen 5 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Charleston

Not so new on the block Six Sigma was developed by Texas Instraments about 15 yrs ago

Steve
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi again,

The new kid in town is called SIX SIGMA.

A lot of company are going for six sigma also.

The heiarchy looks like Karate Kid. They got green belt, brown belt, black belt, a lot of belt, etc.

I got colleague showing PMP, Six Sigma, etc and ...

One thing for sure they got lot of bread.

Hope this will help.
John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
try prince 2, search the web. loads of stuff out there and more opportunities than planners forgot to mention, more cash too
Ivan M
User offline. Last seen 18 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
I would love to do PM as my profession.

I want to make sure that doing this course would be a right way to start.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello,

Be sure that your heart is in project management. You may start at the bottom of your career but eventually you will rise up to become project manager. Ask yourself if you really wanted the job as project manager. If you want, then go for it.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.