Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Starting a Planning Career

12 replies [Last post]
Andy Lopez
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all,

I am interested in getting into the world of planning and would appreciate some help/advice if possible. I have an engineering degree and already have some planning experience but have never held a planning position as such. I have used Microsoft Project, Suretrak, P3 and P3e and have some experience in managing projects. My problem is that most jobs advertised are for planners with several years experience or junior planners with experience in the relevant field i.e. civil/rail. Do positions exist for someone with good engineering/industrial experience looking to change careers without going right to the start of the career ladder? Not that I have anything against starting again as I believe you must learn the basics first, but I can’t really afford to take a large hit in salary. Plus there don’t seem to be any opportunities close to home, meaning costly travelling bills too!

If anyone out there has maybe done the same and can give some advice it would be most appreciated!

Many thanks,

Andy

Replies

VAL REPUBLICA
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Andy,

Am just informing you the reality, considering that we have thousands of Civil Engineers with basic civil works experience that cannot landed a job in the field of Civils Planning because they are lacking of hands-on experience in this field. The more if you are not Civils, what kind planning works you can contribute in the Civil Works or Rails just incase the company will assigned you as a key player?

Considering that you really dont want to sacrifice to gain a very basic ladder of this career and field.

Have a nice day...
Dandie Ringor
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

Andy,wants to shift from Industrial Planner to the most common or available or in-demand works nowadays...and ask whether he should start from the bottom again...

your suggestion is good but to continue on his current position now and get a certification, i think that he will be stucked on his current position and the certificate is not applicable or buyable to other disciplines to which he wants to move or shift....

so therefore, i suggest that its better to have a better understanding or knowledge of the other works....

i hope i explained my opinion in an angel way... :-)
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dandie,

Which suggestion was that? The one to increase his experience as a project manager which would increase his experience of planning and scheduling? I really don’t see how you can say that this would not be useful.

With this increased experience, the necessary experience requirements for PSP certification would be met. This experience together with PSP certification amply demonstrates suitability to take on planning work.

Your comments really puzzle me. If you are trying to play devil’s advocate, perhaps you ought to consider that the forum is here to provide an exchange of ideas, opinion and advice. You really don’t have to be negative all the time, people on this forum are intelligent enough so see the pros and cons of any argument.

Best wishes

Chris Oggham
Andy Lopez
Thanks for your help guys.

Razi is right, I have not officially held a planning position (with title etc), but I have built up my experience of planning while performing other roles, as many people do in order to change careers.

Ford, I politely ask you not to post in this thread. Your comments are not constructive.

Thanks

Andy
Dandie Ringor
Chris,

that’s why our project sucked a lot of guys (especially British) because of this mis-leading concept of having a Certification without actual experience. I guess that your suggestion to Andy is not useful. If you have experience or know how, if interview comes..you could easily explain to the interviewer what you know UNLIKE if you only show your Certification without any experience..then, i guess that even though how many dozen of Certification you got.. no employer is going to pick you up......

ciaooo~~~
VAL REPUBLICA
Guys,
To qualify for the PSP certification an individual must demonstrate eight full years of professional planning and scheduling experience, of which up to four years may be substituted by a college/university degree.
Goodluck!....

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Andy,

Razi is absolutely right. We all gain experience by taking on additional responsibilities. The fact that you have experience as a project manager also means experience in project planning. If possible, try to increase your experience as a project manager as this will increase your knowledge and experience of project planning and scheduling.

If your employer is agreeable, why not see if your are eligible for the PSP Cerification Programme. This is discussed at a different location within this forum.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=9&Top=10647

If you gain certification, planning jobs will certainly be open to you as you will have demonstrated that you possess the necessary skills and attributes to do the job.

Good Luck

Chris Oggham
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I don’t know about others but many times it happens that one took the responsibility beyond one’s scope of work out of one’s own initiative or by organisation’s complusion and gain experience in that field without officially having the relevant title.

I can’t say about your part of world. But if you are interested in Gulf region, where construction industry is booming, there you can find job of your choice.

Cheers.
Dandie Ringor
oppppsss, sorry.....

Quoting to your post Andy -->> "I have an engineering degree and already have some planning experience but have never held a planning position as such..."

i mislook this..... HOW ON EARTH DID YOU HAVE A PLANNING EXPERIENCE and NEVER HELD a PLANNING POSITION...???

i think FORD HYBRID’s comment is correct...

Sorry MATE....
Dandie Ringor
Andy,

you are already an experienced planner but in a different field (industrial), you don’t need to start all over again just to get what are available in the ADS ie, needing Civils/Mech’l etc......

i suggest that since you are already familiar with the software, be familiar with the works related stated in the Ads....you could borrow some programmes realated to this works, do visual observation etc.

moreover, just in case you will be hired, you will not handle big responsibilites..for sure, there is a Boss who will supervise your work and will guide you....

Good Luck Mate !!!

Andy Lopez
Thanks for your unhelpful comments Valentino/Ford Escape Hybrid!
VAL REPUBLICA
Know how to use an enterprise version, but have never held a planning position as such? very strange!...

Well, you really need a hands-on planner experience first before going to any ladder.