Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Starting a Career in Planning from the Start

4 replies [Last post]
Oliver Fitzaptrick
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there,

I will try to cut this short as possible:

Based in the UK. I am looking for a career change: I have a masters in Urban Planning and a humanities related BA degree. I then worked in marketing, account management, and then set up my own business. As you can tell, I didn't follow a pre-determined career route, and work experience to-date has been completely unrelated to my education (being self critical, I see this as making my CV as 'unfocused').

I'm now ready to take control of this (late 20's) and have researched into construction planning. I won't try to give you a sales-pitch here, but I believe that it suits my core personality set (marketing & account management didn't!), and I think I would enjoy & do well in this field. I've always enjoyed project management (albeit I know planning is not simply 'project management').

I obviously have no relevant qualifications for this, so can you please advise the best route to even get a foot in the door to relevant companies? And what type of companies should I be targetting? And what job roles? (Even junior planners need a certain level of site experience, so what positions can give me some site experience whilst also being relevant to a future in planning?)

I am literally willing to work from the bottom up (I have no real financial committments etc. so I'm in a position to do this), and realise this will take years of hard work to where I want to get to - but I need to know where to start first of all.

I appreciate all your input...

Thanks

Replies

Robert Hughes
User offline. Last seen 7 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Oliver,

Whilst it is no means easy to walk into any job without experience, it is possible. I left college after completing an AVCE in Construction and the Built Environment and with zero experience started working for a Main Contractor as a 'Trainee Planner'. I (and others) quickly realised that I needed to spend time on building sites, so I spent time on a variety of sites for two years (not enough to learn everything of course, but a much better starting point in planning than no years site experience) before returning to the planning role and continuing to an Intermediate Planner and then to a Planner postilion which in total took around eight years.

My employer put me through a construction related degree alongside work and whilst probably not essential to do the job (construction experience + software ability + common sense are usually enough), if you lack the experience then I suspect many employers will be seeking a degree qualified candidate and without it you may likely be overlooked.

As you already have a degree are there any conversion degree courses out there for Construction Management? If there are this may be a place to start and might be doable part time alongside something else to maintain an income. Once you have a qualification doors may open for Graduate roles which most UK main contractor's have development and training schemes for graduates which involve spending time on sites, rotating through different departments and working toward membership of a professional body.

Another route might be to look to start at or near to the bottom, my role on site at the start of my career was as an Assistant Engineer which gives you access to a lot of experiences on building sites and a general idea of how things work. The ideal place to start then would be as a Trainee / Assistant Engineer whilst doing a construction related conversion degree part-time so once qualified you will have a year or two of experience under your belt and be in a good position to look toward a Junior Planner role or such like.

In my view, if you are relatively computer literate, you don't need to do a course to learn either Asta PowerProject or Microsoft Project - though I can't speak for other packages. A day or two in a darkened room to run through the help files, press every button you can find to see what it does and prepare a few sample programmes will tell you most of what you need to know for each so if it were me I would not waste my money.

Best of luck.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Oliver

I would suggest that you start by learning the software - you have named the two that I would reccomend you start with.

It is not difficult to learn the basic functions of the software - unfortunately P6 is the most used around the world but asta is far superior.

You can then call yourself a "scheduler" which is someone who can work the software but does not know how to build things yet.

At this stage you will probably be known as a "keyboard jockey" and your role will be to put someones ideas who knows how to build things into the software.

After about 5 years of this you will start to get an idea of how things are built and you may be able to advance as a planner.

The big coming thing is BIM 4 (Building Information Management Stage 4) which is an interface with Digital Design and Planning software - Asta are well advanced in this and it will soon be the norm in the industry.

Have a look at the demo video on asta website.

Few planners have taken this on board - me included - so If you can get to grips in this field you will be well ahead of the pack.

As for getting around the sites you can get around the world.

Good luck and keep in touch

Mike Testro

Oliver Fitzaptrick
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

Not a problem - I need & appreciate your honesty.

I thought what I see as my core personality skills of analysis, organisation, methodical/rational thinking, clear communication, and then an interest in the built environment and seeing a project from start to finish, all fit in with what a construction planner does (or so I have read - no experience obviously!). On a side note, I would also like travelling to sites every so often, as opposed to being stuck in an office.

I have also seen that construction planners are highly in demand. But now I am starting to realise that there is no clear entry to the profession, and they require a lot of experience - probably why they are in so high demand!

I understand this will be an up-hill battle. Although I can afford to go into a low salaried job, I can't afford an unpaid internship unfortunately. I have researched contractors and although I plan to speculatively send my CV, at this stage I can't really see anyone getting back to me.

However, there must be something I can do to get into the profession. Never say never. Do I need to gain qualifications? (I could work in a non-related job whilst doing this, and then apply?) If so, which are the best qualifications to take that are valued in the industry (there are construction management HNC's/MSc's; City & Guild Project Controls Certificate; Civil Engineering courses, general construction courses, general project management courses, and then there's the software specific Primavera & Asta courses - I wouldn't want to waste my money if a qualification is going to be ignored!).

Again, willing to start right at the bottom (although admittedly needs to be paid) - just looking for advice on how to get the ball rolling...

Thanks

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Oliver

My first question is why do you think a career in construction panning is a good idea?

Read a few threads on this site and you will see that for the most part construction planners are disilusioned as to their status and relevance in the construction process.

If that doesn't change your mind you will find it dificult to break into the industry - not having any experience of the construction process or any of the usual software packages.

If you can afford it you may get an unpaid internship with a major contractor or construction manager.

Try Mace for a start and also look through the "Partners" section in PP.

Sorry to be so downbeat.

Best regards

Mike Testro