Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in Hong Kong - salary ranges

2 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planning Planet,

I was fortunate enough to have worked on assignment in Hong Kong recently and Im considering moving there from Sydney.

Could anyone from Planning Planet advise on what the suitable HK salary ranges are?

Ive seven years of experience in construction overall, with the previous three spent in claims work. Prior to this I worked for three years in on-site construction management as well as a year in a design office.

Ill most likely seek HK construction claims work but Im keen to make the transition to project management.

Thanking you all and best wishes for the festive season,

Adrian.

Replies

Nigel Taylor
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, i worked in HK 2000 to 2002. Accomadation allowence was in the order of USD4,500/month for a modern 2 bed appartment (very small), but with good facilities on HK island in Wan Chai, by living out of the city at say the gold coast you can find cheaper and bigger places.

Salary was in the order of USD80k seems a lot but this is a real expensive place to live. Also there is normally a 15% annual bonus. Note that tax in HK is usually in the order of 12 to 15% after allowences, tax is usually paid in arrears by yourself so you need to plan for it.

One word of warning, make sure you have good medical insurance cover, the cost of medical treatment is very high and local coverage does not usually cover the full cost.

Hope this helps.
Richard Beazley
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Adrian,
Im a planner in HK... have been here since 94....
on Railway projects... which now the airport is finished is the biggest source of planning jobs...
dont know how many replies youve had.. but if I can help let me know..rmbeazley@kcrc.com
a couple of hints....
Paper qualifications count for a LOT here... degree, professional institutions etc...
HK is expensive (especially rent) if you dont have a job... the longer your commute, the cheaper your rent.. can get a place for as little as HK$3000 a month or as much as $40,000 a month...
salaries vary a lot... normally higher with client organisations... KCRC, MTRC etc..you can get up to $80,000 a month, depending on qualifications etc...but the trend is DOWNWARDS... FAST....
theres a lot of bias now, in favour of locals... be warned! unless you speak fluent chinese...!!!
you need a work visa... which normally your employer will handle...but you are competing with others who dont need one !
Timing is important...as always
good luck
Richard