Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Management Tools or Techniques for Airport Project Construction/Expansion

9 replies [Last post]
Nathan Siva
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Experts,

I'm currently looking for what are the best tools or techniques used for airport project construction/Expansion/Renuavation

Kindly suggest me some books or article/blogs which has the following information,

1.Comparision of Project management techniques of different project

2.Tools used for succesful project management in airport

3.Best methods of project management ideas in airport

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Nathan.

Replies

Andrew Thornton
User offline. Last seen 3 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Nathan!

I highly recommend you check out Bridgit Bench, it is a construction resource management software that would help keep your team stay productive whether they're working on site or remotely. It could be used as an essential project tracker, workforce availability and workforce COVID-19 and quarantine tracker. It's got an app that's available for mobile as well which allows you to remotely access real-time data and stay updated about the project anywhere. You can check their site if you wish to learn more.

Might be a little late, but I hope this helps you and others for future construction projects!

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

If you're looking for a project management software specifically used for airport construction, I don't think there is one based on my 2 airport project I got involved in the past.  We used Primavera and MS Project for scheduling.  What helped me tremendously is when I bought a book about airport design and understanding the various systems working in an airport and how they interface with each other.  Also important is to understand how important to have a detailed plan for the Operational Readiness Testing & Trials.  This can make or break success for an airport opening.

David Manna
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

I can suggest a tool that I am using to manage team projects and daily to do lists. It's called Fluxes, a free web based project management tool. It's a very simple yet powerful tool.  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline

on a large project like that you will need some type of change management system

document control system 

and Project management reporting system

dependent upon your roll Typically on large projects it wil be brokendown into smaller projects and these project will bid and let ias individual contracts. You will need some type of CRS contract reporting syetms to monitor the cost, schedule, risk and change management on an individual contrat level and then be able to rol it up to  a whole program level. 

This is the concept the tools that you choose to use are up to you. 

Nathan Siva
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline

Dear Zoltan,

Thanks for your quick response, I understand the need of primavera in project management.

Apart from that what are the methodologies/techniques/tools used for Preparation,Design,Procurement,Testing & commisioning Closeout & Handover,Interface management and Risk Management in airport project

If Possible kindly suggest some blogs or website for understanding the above concepts.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan.

Zoltan, you found it hard to beleive that there is any one software tool that is more suitable than another because you are not familiar with Spider Project.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 5 min ago. Offline

I do not believe tools do not matter, it is an illusion. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 12 hours ago. Offline

I find it hard to beleive that there is any one software tool that is more suitable than another for airport construction. The specific working environment should not matter. You can use the same project management tools to construct an airport as you would a nuclear power plant. Its bricks amd sticks sure you wil have to add some Phasing and swing space work but thats no big deal.

From a scheduling persepctive I know that Primavera can handle it bcause I was personally involed in and Airport expansion  project for 15 years and we used Primavera. You need a software tool that can handle multiple projects in the same database and has the ability to link projects together which Primavera does. 

I am not that familiar with Spider or Asta so I can not speak for them. But if this project is in the US then 99% of the General Contractors will be running Primavera anyway. 

Project Control Methodologies were described here: http://www.spiderproject.com/images/img/pdf/General%20Project%20Manageme...

In this paper project management tools that are used with Spider Project are described:

http://www.spiderproject.com/images/img/pdf/General%20Project%20Manageme...

Spider Project was successfully used for such projects in Russia and it is most functional and powerful tool.

Visit www.spiderproject.com where you can download Spider Project Demo and other papers and presentatins that may be helpful.

Let me know if you will have any questions.

Best Regards,

Vladimir