Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Difference between Project Plan and Work Plan

3 replies [Last post]
Chris Rogerson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Guys,

I am new to project management and frequently need to create IT proposal documents for client RFPs with project plan. But recently i was asked to give work plan and then project plan in two different sections of the same RFP, my understanding was they were both the same and every time I get this question it puts me in a swing.

Below is what the client is asking for in their words but the work plan details are asked under the section "Project Approach/Management" and project plan details are asked under the section "Project Plan" :

Project Approach/Management:

----------------------------------------------

Describe your Initial Work Plan and schedule, including a detailed timeline and milestones for all Phases of the project.

Project Plan:

-------------------

Develop a project plan with dates and milestones to be used throughout the project.

I usually do 1 plan ( call it project or a work or implementation plan ) in an excel document with tasks, timeframe, resources, deliverable, milestones. Now that RFP requires work plan & project plan in 2 different section there has to be some difference. Can someone shed some light how the "initial work plan & schedule" is different from "project plan" IN THIS CONTEXT?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Chris

Replies

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Chris,

WORK PLAN means the work execution plan describing how you are going to carry out the works, as a narrative, explaining the preliminary requirements, NOCs, any third party to obtain the NOCs and the expected time period, starategy and sequence to procure the materials, methodolgy of physical work execution, production rate, etc. A summary level time period for design , procurement, installation etc, also with Project milestones.

PROJECT PLAN represents the above details in the planning software or excel, showing the activities, relationships, resources, critical path etc.

Best Regards

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Although they look the same I would say that 

The Project Approach would be an overall assessment of (more summary level) of how you plan to build this project (BIG PICUTRE) along with a summary schedule only including milestones.

The Project Mangement plan of how you are going to manage the project as far as what Project Management people and tools that you are going to use. How are you going to plan, monitor and control the project. This includes, Saftey, QA/QC and Schedule and how you are going to handle changes.

The Project Plan: Would be a more detailed schedule of what you were going to do whne it would be summary level with deatiled work rolled up inot a higher level. 

Just my thoughts 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Chris - Welcome to Planning Planet.

Why don't you just ask them to clarify the gibberish that they have sent you?

Best regards

Mike Testro