Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress Tracking for MEP Progects

1 reply [Last post]
Anand Unni Pillai
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

I started working as a Planning Engineer from Aug-2015. Till today I'm facing problems in tracking the work progress from site. Whenever I request for site progress updates I'm not getting any proper updates. The site people says that its the Planning engineer’s duty to go to site and track the project. My management is also not taking any initiative to solve the problem. The project is >100Million AED with LV, ELV, HVAC, P&D, Fire Forgetting in the scope. The total building area of 81,900+ Sq. M.

So I want to know whether it is the Planning Engineer's duty to do this. I was thinking that the Site Engineers are responsible for giving me the updates. I'm really confused and can't manage my work because all my work is relied upon the updates from site.

The other project that I'm handling also has Project value >100 Million AED, but from there I'm getting weekly updates in proper manner even if I'm not dedicated to there. (Please note the this project consist of all Typical buildings and it is easy for tracking).

Please advise on how to tackle this issue. I'm willing to go to site and take updates as necessary but it will clash with all the reports that I've to submit to Main Contractor on Weekly Basis (There are like a dozen reports to be submitted) and I've to chase all people from the store keeper, supervisors to engineers and construction managers for the updates.

Replies

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Anand,

Its the duty of respective Site Engineer to give you the progress who would be given progress by there supervisors on a daily basis. This should be passed on to you. But you would have to go to site and cross check if something is missing from the reported progress and it would be a good learning expeeirnce too.

Using the progress reports you are getiing from your Site Engineer (HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical) prepare a report. In your report during the Basline stage itself you need to know what is the quantity for example if its a Tower Floor wise and then measure the progress according to that.

Regards

Jithin