Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to plan and control your project using Excel?

7 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Projects Managers' planners and cost engineers,

I am PMO director and have more than ten years experience in planning and projects control using Primavera and Excel.

I am planning to publish a book "how to plan and control your project using Excel" which will include sophisticated features in Excel with practical examples.

I will be garteful to get your contribution about the topics that shall be addressed in the book and any comments I may get the benefit of them. Also, I need to know if this kind of books will add value to the library of projects management?

Your reply is highly appreciate it.

Best,

Muataz

Replies

Report templates can be created and used in the project management software. This feature is not Excel exclusive.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 29 sec ago. Offline
  1. In cases such as Critical Path Planning Excel is worst option, even Microsoft Project is better for such task.
  2. In cases such as Financial and Accounting Excel is worst option, even QuickBooks is better.
  3. In cases such as large relational databases, Excel is worst option, even Access is better.
  4. In cases such as  multi-user environment where data integrity and security is of concern Excel is worst option, even free applications can unlock any Excel password.

It looks like we all agree. Excel is a "Jack of all trades, master of none". Excel is a great tool but you got to keep perspective on its limits.

moutaz aldeib

Yes Vladimir and that is what I mentioned, in such complicated cases, Pimavera and MS Project are the best choice.

Best

Moutaz,

Gantt Chart is one of the ways to present project schedule. Excel does not schedule and so is useless for project planning especially when there are multiple constraints and calendars.

moutaz aldeib

Hi Mike

Sure Gantt Chart is one of the topics which will be included, however it will not be that complicated as softwares like Primavera and MS Project are the best choice in this case.

Best,

Moutaz

Hoping to suggest topics to be covered in the book

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Moutaz

How will you control criticality on excell?

Best regards

Mike T.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I have excel workbook for Cost Control to monitor Expenses.