Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 8.1 Optional client and P6 8.2 Professional client installed on same Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop

1 reply [Last post]
Simon Carter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys,

I've got a strange situation that I'll try and explain and maybe you'll have some insight.

Installation description:
P6 8.1 Optional client and P6 8.2 Professional client installed on same Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop.

Situation:
P6 8.1 Optional client was able to connect to EPPM database until the customer installed P6 8.2 Professional client (Standalone) on the same machine.  Optional client now fails to connect to EPPM database with the error message 'Bad public username or password, [servername], Connection not open'.

Other facts:
Uninstalling the P6 8.2 Professional client allows the P6 8.1 Optional client to connect without error once again.
I setup a P6 8.1 Optional client and P6 8.2 Professional client on similar machine, but connected to MS SQL Server, the two both work and co-extist on the same mahine without problems.

Any ideas where I should start looking for the clash between these two clients on the machine? All google and documentation enquiries not helping, any insights massively appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Simon,

As Emily Foster so kindly pointed-out in her post at http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/primavera-version-pm5-pm6/517237/primavera-p6-r82-its-changed-again, the 8.2 client now doubles as the optional client.  I imagine that P6 did not like two competing programs from different versions installed on the same machine. 

If you are going to run both types of P6 on the same machine (which I find somewhat odd), I would suggest that you match the version numbers by upgrading the web version to 8.2 as well.  Good luck!