Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why are my costs changing to zero?

3 replies [Last post]
Paul H
User offline. Last seen 12 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Guys,

I'm a new Primavera user and whilst I've not had too many problems with most of the functions of it, there is one issue I can't fix and would be grateful if anyone could advise.

We have an existing project of around 1000 activities, for each activity the associated cost is stored in "Labor Cost" under the "Status" tab in activity deails.

The problem I have, and I've searched the inernet for days trying to find a solution, is that if I change the activity date, duration or click to say it's actually started, all the costs change to zero. For example, I might have Activity A due to start on 1/1 and end on 6/1 with a budgeted and at completion cost of £5000. If I then change the finish date to 7/1 all the costs change to £0, similarly, if I click to say the activity has started, even if the dates are the same all the costs change to £0.

What is even more confusing thou is that the above is only true for existing activities. If I create a new Activity B with a cost of £5000, I can change dates, duration and click to say it's actually started and the costs will still be £5000 as before. That's exacty what I need the existing activities to do. Our costs are entered manually, they are not calculated as duration x an hourly rate for example.

When it comes to updating the project each month it takes me days having to select each activity, note the costs, change dates and then put back the same costs.

Does anyone hve any idea why this is happening? I sspect it will be something simple, like a box being checked or un-checked but I'm losing days every time I make changes (the nature of our business dictates that activity dates change often) so would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Replies

Sam .
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Hey Paul,

Ive had the exact same problem and spent hours trying to figure it out.

What you need to do, is before any resources or budgeted costs are added to the activities, is go to the projects window and click on the "calculations" tab with your project open.

Then make sure the "Link budget and At Completion for not started activities" box is checked, and also "Reset Original Duration and Units to Remaining" is checked. I'm not 100% sure about the last one but it works for me.

You can now add your resources and actualise them without the budget value reset problem.

If you already have budget values, I think you would need to remove them and start over unfortunately.

Best of luck

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Paul,

1. you need to define resources

2. you need to apply costs to those resources

3. you need to have a planning in hours preferably

4. you need to schedule

5 you need to apply actuals (under tools)

Easier might be to use the expeses tab with auto compute actuals.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Lots of ways of making the system "misbehave" like this.

Even if your resource assignment record is set to "Override" the resource dictionary's price - you must have a resource rate that is not zero in the dictionary. Changing the resource dictionary price will require the cost to be recalculated.