Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how P6 computes for total float subtotal and why schedule variance is not zero reference to newly created baseline?

5 replies [Last post]
Jerome Soriano
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Dear PP Members,

1) How does P6 compute for the subtotal of total floats. There is a group consist of 5 activities, 4 activities having total float of 2 days each and 1 activity whose total float = -10days. The group subtotal of total float is -6days.

2) Why schedule variance is not equal to zero reference to a newly created baseline of an "in-progress project''? As far as I know, schedule variance should be zero because the baseline is just the exact copy of the current. Is there a way in P6 to set SV=0?

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!!!

Jerome

Replies

Jerome Soriano

Thanks a lot michael.

How do other planning engineers deal with the issue #2 I mentioned above?

Jerome Soriano

'

Rockzy Sales
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I believe TF = LS - ES or LF - EF of an activity. In a summary of group of activities, TF (summary) equals the TF of the last activity to start or to finish in the group or WBS as Michael said.

regards,

the Rock

michael ramos
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

TF on summary equals Latest LF minus Latest EF under the wbs code

PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

1) Default Global Calendar affects Total Float on Grouping bands summary

2) No.