Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float Variance Between Current and Baseline Schedules

2 replies [Last post]
John Mol
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

P3 had the ability to include a report column that provided the Total Float Variance between two schedules (typically the current update and its baseline).  However, I've not been able to recreate this variance report in P6 v8.2.  My intuitioin tells me that I can include a column which provides the variance between the Late Finish dates.  However, I'm not confadent that these two reports provide the exact results.

Does anyone know how to create a column which provides the Total Float Variance between a current update and its baseline?

Thank you!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I think that the difference between "LATE FINISH" and "BL LATE FINISH" must equal the "VARIANCE -BL1 FINISH DATE" 

add a column for the bl laste finish date and add acolumn for the currently schedule late finish date and look at them and remember the differences will be in WORKING DAYS.

John Mol
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

First, thank you for your quick response.  But your response only leads me to further questions.  I've assigned/maintained the baseline schedule. 

I would think that the difference between "LATE FINISH" and "BL LATE FINISH" would equal "VARIANCE -BL1 FINISH DATE" but it does not.  It dawned on me from your response that the difference between "TF" and "BL1 TOTAL FLOAT" equals "VARIANCE - BL1 FINISH DATE".

Is it just me or is my confusion created by Primavera's poor descriptions.

Shouldn't the column for the difference between "TF" and "BL1 TOTAL FLOAT" be called "VARIANCE - BL1 TOTAL FLOAT"?

..... and if "LATE FINISH" and "BL LATE FINISH" doesn't equal "VARIANCE - BL1 FINISH DATE" where can I find the real value "VARIANCE - BL1 FINISH DATE"?

It's quite possible that I'm just being dense, and if so, feel free to let me know.  It just seems that Primavera is being inconsistant with the naming conventions.

Thank you,

John

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

first you must maintain a baseline then you must assign a baseline

Then you can add a column and expand the durations category and select BL1 Total Float

you can also add a column for the variance  BL1 finish date by expanding the durations category when adding a column. The BL1 finish date should reflect the variance in the total float. 

Keep in mind if you have NOT maintained or assigned a baseline some of these fields will not be visible.