Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to calculate Actual Cost from price/unit2?

3 replies [Last post]
Jun Partoriza
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

The default formula for computing actual cost is (actual units)*(price/unit). Is there a way to change/tweak the formula of actual cost so that it should be (actual units)*(price/unit2)?

In my project, the budgetary unit cost is different from the actual unit cost of a particular item. For example, the unit price of concrete rises from $70.00/cu.m. to $80.00/cu.m. I want this to reflect on my programme, in which i input (price/unit)=$70.00, and (price/unit2)=$80.00 for concrete. In budgeted cost, I use $70.00 (price/unit) as its unit cost and as for the actual cost, its unit cost should be $80.00 (price/unit2).

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 59 min ago. Offline

Yes but the procedure shall be similar, the concept of cost periods is universal, we just need someone who can give us the details on how P6 does it if you cannot figure it out.

If you want to keep it simple, instead of using a second set of cost periods using a second set of cost codes just keep the original in the Baseline and new values on the updates. I was showing the two sets on the same file as you suggested a second value on the same file.

Regards,

Rafael

Jun Partoriza
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

@Rafael Davila:

your using a different software, right?

Unfortunately, we only use P6 in our firm.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 59 min ago. Offline

Cost shall be computed based not exclusively on a single fixed cost but on cost that vary with time, inflation is kind of universal. Only in short duration jobs unit prices will not vary. Most software provide some table where you will be able to relate unit prices with time. A table most probably similar to the one used to define variable resource availability with time.

Photobucket

Use separate cost accounts (or cost components in Spider) for initial budgeting using estimated unit costs that can vary with time. Similarly you can use separate cost accounts for reporting actual cost and revised budget based on actual unit prices using a cost periods table that reflect actual changes in unit costs.

In summary for every budget unit cost you will need two cost accounts to track initial budget versus revised budget and actual forecast.

Photobucket