Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Screening Questions for P6 Candidates

7 replies [Last post]
David Millheim
User offline. Last seen 12 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I need to prescreen candidates for a Scheduling position requiring solid P6 skills, prior to sending them on to the hiring manager. I've never used Primavera myself. Can you share with me a few basic questions to determine if a candidate really knows how to use Primavera P6?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 31 min ago. Offline

You can ask. How many BUGS have you identified in P6.

If the answer is less than a trillion then he/she have not experienced P6 in depth.

Raj Radhakrishnan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Mike - actually u can change the color of an individual task bar. 

Steps: Add New Bar, Select Color, Select Filter, Add New Filter (Set Criteria - i.e. Act ID - XXXXX, or WBS equals XXXX), and select the criteria = current (or late, or critical etc.) and view layout.  For example, if you set the filter to have all the design activities to a particular color, it wll show up in a different color.  I use it for presentation purposes all the time - Engg in one color, Procurement in one color and Construction in another color.  

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

difference between the Scheduled % Complete, duration % complete, Unit % Complete, Activity % Complete. 

Regards

Mukunda

Sapna Rani
User offline. Last seen 12 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi david,

You may ask questions like:-

1.Can you have more than1 critical path in P-6?

Ans-Yes

2.What is schedule tracker in P-6?

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David,

Having not used P6 yourself makes this a bit tricky, as there's not many questions I can think of that wouldn't have more than one "correct" answer, and you'd need to know the topic to be able to interpret the answers.

The below might do you though:

Q: What is the difference between retained logic and progress overide?

A: When you choose Retained Logic, the remaining duration of a progressed activity is not scheduled until all predecessors are complete. When you choose Progress Override, network logic is ignored and the activity can progress without delay.

Q: What does progress spotlight do?

A: The Progress Spotlight feature highlights the activities that should have started or finished during a specified timeperiod

Q: What is the difference between  the "assign baselines" and "maintain baselines" dialogue boxes?

A: Use the "Maintain Baselines" dialog box to create, delete, or restore baselines for the project. Use the "Assign Baselines" dialog to assign project, primary, secondary, and tertiary baselines to a project, from the available baselines created through the "Maintain Baselines" dialog box.

(All answers cut & pasted from the Primavera help file)

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi David

You might like to start with the things that P6 can't do:

Change the colour of an individual task bar.

Underline the text in a single column cell.

Copy and paste directly from excell into the columns.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Arun sangwan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

question which u need to ask can be in how many ways a schedule can be prepared?