Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

p6v7 - help reporting progress against resources

1 reply [Last post]
Gemma Clarke
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

i have just moved from using p3 to p6v7, its pretty different and i'm really missing the way p3 would calculate in reports!  anyway, thats irrelevant now and I need to report daily progress against my schedule, based on resources. 

my schedule is set up so that the duration type is fixed unit per time and % complete type is physical.   is this the best set-up for me to calculate actual resource usage?  i am finding entering actual data quite time consuming at the end of every day as there are a lot of activities to update, but when i've tried using unit or duration % complete, the auto-calulations arent true to how the task is progressing.

Also, is there a report i can set up to let me know achieved man hours to date, and also during the last 24 hours?

thank you for your help!

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 19 hours ago. Offline

is this the best set-up for me to calculate actual resource usage?

Actual resource usage can be half or even twice the budget amount therefore I would say in this way what you are calculating earned value but this is done by most software. EV compares actual against earned.

Actual resource usage is from time cards, equipment and labor included as both are resources. Actual resource usage can be discontinuous and your software shall allow for the record of as many interruptions happened in order for the data be credible in court if the schedule updates eventually are/might be used.

Actual resource usage represents the actual hours recorded by any Job Costing System, can be man hours or equipment hours. Costs associated to the usage is also kept on record.

I believe P6 follows P3 methodology for posting period performance.