Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera Problems: Loading issues

10 replies [Last post]
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

I have P6 stand alone application on my laptop,

Recently its taking 20 mins to load after signing in, and then around 20 minutes to load each project

Before i fire the laptop through the nearest window is there anyone out there who would know what the problem is and can they give a step by step guide to fixing this problem

Don't suggest going to Primavera / Oracle im still waiting on them to get back to me about a problem i reported in June 10

Regards

Tony

Replies

Kas DaAce
User offline. Last seen 13 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Sounds like your database has become corrupted. You can do a total reinstall of the database after backing it up or if I were you and this will be a recurring issue, I would install the Oracle 10g desktop database. It is more reliable than MS SQL and to me faster and more friendly with indexing.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/express-edition/overview/index.html

Regards,

Kas

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

First you need to check the database integrity ( Tools / Check Project Integrity ).  Then you should confirm that your background services are scheduled and being run.  (Windows Start Button / Microsoft SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server Manager SQL Express ).  Then you need to drop-kick your Vista OS and upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 as fast as you can.  If I were you, I would also upgrade to P6 Version 7.  If this does not work, you will be forced to fix it the old fashion way; call a local Primavera Provider and schedule a repair appointment.  Good luck!

Tony Hughes

Cheers,

Yes i am using MSql Express on a windows vista OS.

The laptop is virus free, i ended up doing a full factory restore a few weeks ago as i thought this might have been the problem

Tony Hughes

Cheers,

Yes i am using MSql Express on a windows vista OS.

The laptop is virus free, i ended up doing a full factory restore a few weeks ago as i thought this might have been the problem

Tony Hughes

Hi Ronald,

I am using primavera 6 .2

Reinstalled the software and still getting the same problems

Tony Hughes

Hi Ronald,

I am using primavera 6 .2

Reinstalled the software and still getting the same problems

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Tony,

You need to tell us your P6 Version Number.  Version 5 had a problem where the Admin needed to manually purge deletes.  Version 6 definitely had problems running background services that would perform this task for you.  Another possibility might be corrupt databases.  Try Check Project Integrity.  Good luck!

Rockzy Sales
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

are you using P6.0 on Win7?

I had the same problem before, so what I did is to Install another OS, an older one, which is the WinXP...and this is where I installed my P6.0

anyway.... it could also be that your laptop is being swarmed by Viruses... ;-)

Cheers,

the Rock

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 12 min ago. Offline

Tired database,  ....

HA HA

Then SQL express is a toy, not a surprise but amazing. Should provide better re-indexing tools.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

If you are running using SQL express as a database, then it is probably "tired". I reckon every 6 months I need to save all the projects and layouts I need, and delete the P6 local database on my laptopn and reload it.  SQL express "wears out" just like windows.