Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planned Curves from a Resource Leveled Schedule

7 replies [Last post]
Melissa Schiller
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
I can produce my early curve & my late curve from the baseline, but how do I produce the planned curve once my baseline has been leveled?

I’ve tried several scenarios & none of them look right.

Replies

Melissa Schiller

Hey Trevor!!  I'm getting closer & closer to what I'm looking for.  P6 just has so many date fields and trying to figure out which date the data is pulling from is a real headache. 

I'll get it.  I'm determined.

Trevor Williams
User offline. Last seen 8 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Having any luck Melissa?  How are things going over there?

Melissa Schiller

Thank you gentlemen.  What I am trying to produce from the baseline, an early curve & a late curve.  Once I level the resources in the baseline, I want to use that as my planned curve. As the project progresses, I'll have an actual curve.  I've been getting closer & closer to what I'm looking for.  My problem is understanding which date field in the Activies view, is the information in the Assignments view of P6 is pulling from.

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Thanx for the clarification Rafael.

Best Regards
Shareef

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 50 min ago. Offline
Shareef,

Initial baseline is as per original plans, it has no progress until it is time to update baseline schedule as it no longer represents true plans and updated contractual conditions and cannot be used for comparison purposes.

After change orders and progress is reported you might be in need to update the baseline schedule, the new baseline schedule shall show progress up to the baseline revision date and projected after new baseline revision date. This project will be again frozen for comparison purposes until again there is need for a new baseline.

By updating Baseline I mean to show actuals as already happened and to show new revised plans to be in agreement with actual contractual conditions, if there was an EOT new baseline will show EOT. The new revised baseline is not generated from old baseline but from the revised latest updated schedule with actuals and new plans according to actual contractual conditions. Always your baseline schedules shall be based on resource leveled schedules, usually limited resources drive the schedule making the unleveled version unreal. Can you make a job without resources? Do you have unlimited resources? Get real.

The following illustrates how S curves might look, it shows original Baseline and Updated Schedule S Curves but updated Baseline S Curve will look like an updated S Curve just that it will be frozen in time until is is tme to update again.

S Curve Components

Best Regards,
Rafael
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
hello Rafael

By updating Baseline do you mean planned progess?

will this curve not be the same before and after the update of baseline???

Best Regards
Shareef
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 50 min ago. Offline
Melissa,

Before any updating, you have:

•     Early Projection
•     Late Projection

After updating, you have:

•     Before data date a single Actuals Curve
•     Early Projection After Data Date
•     Late Projection After Data Date

Therefore, after updating the Current Schedule and the Baseline you will have:

•     Baseline Actuals before Baseline update DD
•     Baseline Early Projection After Baseline update DD
•     Baseline Late Projection After Baseline update DD
•     Current Schedule before data date a single Actuals Curve
•     Current Schedule Early Projection After Data Date
•     Current Schedule Late Projection After Data Date

You have no idea how much I miss P3 functionality to generate the curves at a click of the mouse, and if a single baseline is not enough you had the option to display two baselines, no need to do esoteric exporting to Excel just a finger to click the mouse.

Good luck with your curves, maybe will not solve your problems but it is what high-level management wants. Of the newer software the one that makes this functionality available again will definitively get an edge with upper management.

For about 30 years in all my contracts the S Curves have always been required, no exception ever. Seems as if a developers want to tell us we do not need them, they just do not care, some dirty water to all is in order.

Best Regards,
Rafael