Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

S Curve From P6 Cost Integration

3 replies [Last post]
Kurt Grusmark
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am aware there is ample information out there to create an S Curve via P6 without entering total manpower for each task (I do not know how to currently do this, but will do the research to save people from having to post informaiton that is already out there). What I cant seem to find is if I can enter project cost into P6 if I don't tasks #'s assigned to each cost line item. For example, if task 10 in my schedule is "Abatement", in excel do I have to add a column that labels abatement as task 10?

Long story short: I have a project scheudle in P6, I have a detail cost matrix in excel (which does not specifcially reference the P6 schedule), and I want to link both to an S curve. What is the easiest method to get there?

Thanks, and I apologize in advacne if my question is confusing.  

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

no you set it to no so that you can import the manhours back into p6.

Once you input your costs all activities except LOE use a linera distribution.

if you use a LOE and have resources on it then you MUST assign a curve to it. 

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Dear Zoltan,

As per your statement- When you make it make sure that calculates costs from units is set to NO,
I believe that the cost will be loaded completely to the first day of the activity and we have to use "Linear Curve" to distribute is through out.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Go to the resource directory and create a new resource and call it lumpsum make the type labor. When you make it make sure that calculates costs from units is set to NO.

Go to the activities directory and filter for all of the activities that you want the resource on. Then select all of the activities by highlighting them.

Right click and select assign and then select resources and select the resource that you just created called LUMPSUM

Go to file export and select xls then select resource and resource assignments. When you get to the Select Template select add. In the column tab expand the left side under available and expand the Costs category and select Budgeted Costs and take that to the right side.

Click on the filter tab select add and create a new filter

Where resource id name equal LUMPSUM

Select next and export the units to excel

Open excel and look at the TASKRSRC tab at the bottom and look for the column labeled as target_qty Budgeted Costs 

Populate this column with the appropriate costs and then save the file in excel.

In P6 go to the Projects Directory and make sure that your project is highlighted click on the Resources tab and make sure that in the lower right under RESOURCE ASSIGNMNETS that Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked.

Now got to the calculations tab and make sure that under Resource Assignments that when updating actual units or costs that Subtract Actual from At Completion IS CHECKED.

Also make sure that Recalculate Actual Units costs and Costs when duration % complete changes IS CHECKED

Also make sure that Link Actual and Actual This Period Units and Cost IS CHECKED

Next go to the Activities Directory and select file import and select xls. File the excel file that you saved and when you get to the Import Type screen ONLY CHOOSE RESOURCE ASSIGNMENTS and import the excel file.

Import the costs from excel to P6