Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

% Complete type

11 replies [Last post]
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi-

Could you please expalin , i have to prepare a Cost and resource loaded Schedule In P6V7

which most easy and usefull % complete type i can use.

Thanks

Replies

niles luo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi,all
Physical should be used if we are not sure which one is the best. Because all the infromation include the remain duration, physical percent,resource units etc. can be input in this option.
Shazia khan
Many thanks

You are really expert PMC Professional.

Planner life is tuff with out Planning Planet.

Thanks for all.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Hi Shazia,
That’s good and I fully recommend two settings for a start which may change during life cycle of a Project.

For all having fixed durations and measurable by time, use Duration % complete and Fixed Duration & Units.
Ex: Design, Project Management, Site office and maintenance, Engineering etc...

For all construction activities measurable by qty, progress measurement, deliverables…etc…. Use Physical % complete combine with Fixed Duration & unit if unit is fixed and Fixed Durations & Unit/time if unit is variables.

You don’t need unit % complete as you haven’t mention any resource driven activities and leveling of resource.

Good Luck!!!
Shazia khan
Thanks for your reply.

well explaination ,

Please ref.answers as below

i want report as below

1.• Baseline comparison with current project
• Progress status, S-Curve and histogram
• Earned Value Management
• Cash Flow and Forecast
• Look Ahead Schedule
2) Cost and Accounts Management

based on qty.we have to preapred PMMS( Progress mesurement system) for construction(site Supervisor Engr.)
and same for Egg, Proc.

we have fixed units according to qty.for each ,Engg, Proc. & construction.

Based on Physical Progress Sch. will be update.
bi weekly / monthly. progress will be notice by Desiciplaine Engineers.

This is our aim

Thanks

Rodel Marasigan
Shazia,
It is very simple and only answerable by you. Don’t focus on the settings and that is only corresponds on how you want to control the response of the software which might be keep changing through the life cycle of the projects. You may use all of them in one Project depends on what type of input is gathered and required.

Basic questions that you need to answer which will be driving on which settings you need to use.
1) What are the basic reports required to produce?
•     Baseline comparison with current project
•     Progress status, S-Curve and histogram
•     Earned Value Management
•     Cash Flow and Forecast
•     Look Ahead Schedule
2) Levelling of Resource etc…
•     Resource Management
•     Resource Allocation and Utilization
3) Cost and Accounts Management
4) Production Steps or Rules of Credit
5) What are the sources of input for progress?
•     Supervisor/ Project Engineer
•     QS and quantified progress using BOQ
•     Physical effort measuring progress by going to site itself
•     Methods of Measurement

For measuring Physical effort and Physical progress or using Production steps recommended settings is to use Physical % Complete. This will allow planner to update Progress, Duration and resources independently.

Ex: Physical % complete, Act1 = Duration =5days, Total Unit =40 units, Unit/time = 8/day
Progress = 80%, remaining duration and units are manually updated based on estimated remaining duration left and actual and remaining units to complete the task.

For measuring Duration progress or Duration driven progress recommended settings are Duration % complete combined with Fixed Durations & Units or Fixed Durations & Unit/Time. These settings will synchronize Duration and Units update.
Ex: same as above
Progress = 80%, Duration and units are automatically updated = 1 day and 8 units remaining. (unit can adjust to reflect actual and estimated remaining units)

For measuring Resource driven progress or driving activities recommended settings are Unit % complete combined with Fixed Units or Fixed Unit/Time. These settings will allow task controlled by resource progress or unit % progress.
Ex: same as above
Unit or resource will control progress and duration will automatically adjust if drive activity dates by default is mark or tick.

Note: All these settings can be change during the Project life cycle to control response of each activity.

Another example why I mention it will be change during Project life cyle. If your setting is Duration % percent complete combined wiht Fixed Duration and Unit as per example above.
Say Act1 = 5 day with 40 units (8/d)
First update = 40 % which is according to plan so remaining is 3 days. Now on the next update you have 60% but not according to plan which supposed to be 80%. Your remaining is equal 2 day (5*60% = 3day) but estimated remaining duration is only 1 day. If you change the remaining duration to 1 day your progress will show 80% and not 60% and will have wrong progress. In order to show 60% progress you need to change the Percent complete type to Physical so the software will allow you to input 60% complete and 1 day remaining duration.
Shazia khan

Thanks for Every One.

your Work Exprence more then me.

Please be simple for just , guide me ,i want to update manual Schedule ,my schedule is cost and resource based.

I need to know for best result by your wide exprence.

what should i do ( best selection in my case.)

Duration type .

% complete type.

Thanks
Rodel Marasigan
Shareef,
On your case you need to use Physical % complete and not duration % complete if you want to show actual progress against planned and not controlled by duration % complete or unit % complete. Duration % complete is also possible but needs to amend actual unit progress to reflect correct productivity output.

Ex: Duration % complete, Act1 = 10 days and 100units = 10/day
If progress = 80%
Remaining Duration = 1 day
Actual Unit = 80 unit
Remaining Unit = 20 unit
You can manually change the actual units if Progress per day is not correct or different productivity output.
Using this setting, Duration will control your progress but units can be amended.

Ex: Unit% complete
Using this setting will allow planner to control the unit progress. It will not update duration and need to do a manual update when progressing except if duration type used is Fixed Unit or Fixed Unit/Time and drive activity date by default is tick.

Both duration and unit % complete type are also controlled by Duration type.

For Duration % complete type the recommended settings is Fixed duration & Unit or Fixed Duration and Unit/Time. Any of these setting when combined with duration % complete type, allow planner to control progress by duration.

For Unit % complete the recommended settings is Fixed Unit or Fixed Unit/Time and will allow planner to control unit and duration using unit % if drive activity date by default is tick.

Physical % complete will run independently and duration or units are manually progressed.

In regards to your query duration type settings will control your resource units.
If Fixed duration & Unit is use it will fixed the unit assigned even duration is change. If Fixed duration & Unit/Time is use then unit will change and follow duration change whether increase or decrease. It will be the same response using Fixed unit = unit will retained even duration change and for Fixed Unit/Time unit will follow duration changes.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Thanx Rodel,

I was worried how I could show a low productivity.

for example: if I had planned to make a total of 100 barrier in 10 days meaning units/time = 10/day

Suppose I schedule progress on the 7th day.
I achieved 10/d for 4days after which i could achieve only 6/d
on 5th,6th & 7 th day.

meaning total casted = 10*4+6*3= 58
Remaining units=100-58=42
Remaining duration=???(=3 as planned).

Now from your reply it looks like Ill have to link the remaining units and units/time to calculate remaining duration....which here would be....42/10=4.2 days or 42/6= 7 days.

Am I right ????

Now this takes to another question....I had initally used
Fixed Duration & Units....... Now in this case my duration has increased. Or is it that this is used only for calculations...??? How does this work

Rodel Marasigan
Shareef,
If you use Duration % complete combine with Fixed Duration and Unit or Fixed Duration and Unit/time that should automatically update duration and units at the same time base on the progress that you enter.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Can any one tell me how to use % complete type for a situation where there are a combination of % complete types for resources

For example:
The activity is ’Casting Concrete Barriers’

Now lets consider the main resources for this activity : 1. Labour 2. Concrete 3. Steel

Now it would be easy for me to use ’units’ to update progress for concrete and steel (materials resources); but I would prefer to use ’Duration’ to update progress for labour resource.

Now how can I combine both for the same activity.
Is it that I will have to update the labour resources aswell with ’Units’...???

Is there any way around this ? Coz I would liketo update all resources other than materials resources using ,duration %complete type’ .
This would be easier as I do not have to follow the daily manpower utlization for each activity
Rodel Marasigan
Shazia,
It depends on how you want to track or monitor your Project. Using Duration % complete type synchronize update of remaining duration and units and Unit % complete type do the same defends on Duration type settings. Using Physical will need manual update for all but good for monitoring EVM.