Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6.1; WBS Total Original Duration Problem

7 replies [Last post]
Abeer Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
WBS title is Item #1 (included Activity #1 & 2)
1.Activity #1; Total Float =0 and original duration is (8days) start 04-May-10 (8:00) finish 12-May-10 (16:00)
2.Activity #2 will start after finish activity #1; Total Float = 33 and original duration is (1days) start 13-May-10 (8:00) finish 13-May-10 (16:00)

After run schedule I found the following:
WBS title is Item #1, Total Float = 27 instead of 33 and original duration is 8days instead of 9days start 04-May-10 (8:00) finish 13-May-10 (16:00)

I wonder why this conflict happened.

Please advise by steps.
Best Regards,
Abeer

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
A D
Hi Abeer,

From Rodel’s link, things might b very clear for u.

Here’s a workaround to overcome WBS bars problem:

- Set the rolled up totals OFF in Group and sort

- Add an LOE, OR

- Add WBS summary activity with the calendar you want to use for calculating the summary duration.

Cheers,
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 36 min ago. Offline
Abeer,

Click the link below where I explained the proper use of Multiple Calendar
Multiple calendar scheduling Post #3
Abeer Mahmoud
Thanks Raviraj,

You are right global calendar was 5 working days because most of rest WBS activities have the same working days and the mention below WBS activities is 6 working days.
But when I changed global calendar to 6 working days I found the following:
WBS title is Item #1, original duration was corrected to 9days instead of 8days
Other WBS’s sum durations increased from 1 to 3 days which is not correct for example WBS #2 included 2 activities with 5 working days;
-Activity #3; duration is (11days) start 06-May-10 (8:00) finish 20-May-10 (16:00)
-Activity #4 will start after finish activity #3; original duration is (1days) start 23-May-10 (8:00) finish 23-May-10 (16:00)
But WBS #2 sum duration = 15days instead of 12days.
So if I have many calendars at the same project what is the global calendar I must assign to make the schedule WBS’s sum durations is right and reasonable.
Regards,
Abeer
A D
Check Global Calendar

WBS total Duration is calculated using Global Calendar and NOT using activity calendar.

This is still a enhancement request.
Abeer Mahmoud
Dear Deepak,
Kindly note that the two activities have the same calendar,
So WBS total duration must be the sum of activities durations which = 9days not 8days

Regards,
Abeer
Deepak Jain
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
The WBS duration is not a sum of the durations but a calculation based on the start and finish activities on the default calendar.