Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Quick way to Link activities

9 replies [Last post]
Farzin Farsi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,
I have a set of 10-30 activities under each WBS which have been imported to p5.
Any idea how I can quickly link (Finish to Start) these activites together?
Activities are sorted by their ID number and I’d like to connect each one to the next activity, just a simple FS link.
I am looking to do this as quick as possible rather than linking them one by one.

Cheers

Replies

Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think I got the idea...
having two relationships between same activities reflects the actual logic. maybe i considered it not logical because only one realtionship type actually drives the dates while the other does not effect.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 30 min ago. Offline
Ali,
The normal usage for that is “A” SS “B” and “A” FF “B” meaning “B” cannot start until “A” started and “B” cannot finish until “A” is finished which is common in construction especially if your activities is not breakdown to the lowest detail.
Ex: Wall Partition.
You cannot start Electrical rough-in without starting wall framing but you can’t finish electrical rough-in without finishing wall framing before wall cladding (not always the case). In some other cases other combination is also use for high level activities.

Primavera default is FS which keep adding until you meet all four linking process.
Ali Farhat
Rodel,

I am aware of that...what i meant is two relationships between the same activities..
if A is related to B with a FS relation and you link them AGAIN, primavera will assume a second relationship between A and B. Now you will have A and B linked by FS and FF.
this is what i was refering as not logical...to me at least
Rodel Marasigan
Ali,
It’s common sense. Imagine if you have only one relationship on each task from beginning to end. All you activities are lying on one path which is all critical. How long are you going to finish a project if one task needs to finish first before starting the new task? There a lot of task that can run in parallel after a trigger task is finished or even just started.
Simple Ex: Concrete foundation
Once the IFC drawing is release, you can excavate and fabricate the rebar and formworks at the same time. You don’t need to wait excavation finished before fabrication of rebar unless that area is impossible to installed fabricated rebar and requires in situ.
Another are some roughing electrical and plumbing that need to embed before pouring of concrete. It runs parallel with rebar and formworks.
Now you can answer you own question.
Ali Farhat
Speaking of which....why primavera adds multiple relationships??? i find this stupid. i think they should include an optioon not to allow adding double relationship
or is there any hidden logic behind that
please advice
Regards
Farzin Farsi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you very much Rodel.

Rodel Marasigan
Hi Mike,
I know and I assumed that’s the case as he mentioned that it was consecutively order according to activity id. Thanks
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Rodel

To do this you have to be certain that they are in the correct order when you highlight them.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rodel Marasigan
Farzin,
Highlight all activities that need to link from 1st to last then select Edit-> Link Activities