Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration Percentage Complete

6 replies [Last post]
Ahmed Matt
User offline. Last seen 14 years 4 days ago. Offline
Hey All

I recently migrated to P6, and honestly its harder than I thought.

The rolled up % Complete based on duration, why does it give a value different than it should be?

Shouldn’t the original duration be a weight of each activity to compute the rolled up %??

There is always a difference for some reason.

Help Please

Replies

sunil kotian
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all.

Please suggest me hw to update percentage completion of the activities without changing finish date...whenever I update percentage completion for the activities under progress its finish date automatically get change which changes the start and finish date of all the activities linked to it...so please reply regarding this...

Ruel Camaquin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

Thank you for the insight.... More power to you.

Ruel
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 11 min ago. Offline
Anbin,
API (Application Programming Interface) is an interface implemented by a software program to enable interaction with other software, similar to the way a user interface facilitates interaction between humans and computers. APIs are normally design in house by the computer programmer using ODBC, SQL and other database with combination of computer programming, data structures, object classes, protocols, libraries and active x (dll) to communicate between existing system and implementer of the API. SDK is a good example of API and a lot of softwares are now on the market.
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Dear Rodel,

I have used SDK.But I have not used API interfaced yet.After your solution here I tried to know it,but I could not find it with P6 Software.

Could you please suggest me to know about it.

With Thanks & Regards,

Anbin Ponnith
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 11 min ago. Offline
All,
In additions to Alexandre’s post, regarding roll up durations calculated based on “Default Calendar”; it is also calculated based on total duration of set baseline. Meaning if you don’t have any attached baseline and your baseline is set to current project comparing “Duration % of Original” vs. “Duration % complete” is meaning less because it will show same percent complete. It is a must to maintain and attached Baseline containing original duration (no progress if possible to have accurate data) as the current project is frequently changed while it has been progressed. Once attached it is also need to set from Project Directory under Settings tab -> Project Settings -> Baseline for earned value calculations (Project Baseline or User’s primary baseline). Another issue that might encounter is if an activity has a huge lag on logic and because its calculation base on total baseline duration the output is may not correct but it depends on the perception of the reader. Using multiple calendars is causing another error calculation on the duration roll-up summary.

Based on my personal knowledge and experience, the best way to deal with this is using weighted duration against its activity. Most of us are aware that Primavera 6 is cost dependant in most cases. The reason I mention this is in order to track on more reliable and much accurate way using duration % complete type is to weight the activity by cost using duration numbers. It works on multiple calendars and even default calendar is not the same as the project calendar especially if you are working on multiple projects with different calendars. There are 3 options can use as explained below:

Option 1: By entering duration number as cost on Activity Detail-> Status tab under labor cost (Budgeted, Actual & Remaining). To do this user need to set the Default Price/Unit for activities without Resource or Roles Price/Unit under Project directory->Calculation tab-> activities. (i.e.1, 10, 100, 1000 – I recommend whole number which can easily divide by adjusting the decimal places) or just enter 1 (i.e. 1* duration = duration.). Unfortunately these options require manual entry. Global Change and import is not available unless user has a capability of using SDK, ODBC or any API interfaced to Primavera.

Option 2: By entering duration number as cost on Activity Detail-> Expenses tab. This option can use export/import to spreadsheet (xls)-> Expenses to input duration number into budgeted , actual, remaining and At completion cost but not global change as the expenses item need to define first.
Steps for updating budget, actual and remaining using export/import facility (xls).
1)     Open the Project that needs to update.
2)     Select File-> Export-> Spreadsheet-(xls).
3)     Tick Activities & Expenses then click Next.
4)     Tick the project to export then click Next.
5)     Click Add or Modify the existing then click Next.
6)     Click the Subject Area and select Activities.
7)     Select basic fields required (Activity ID, Activity Status, WBS Code, Original duration, Actual duration and Remaining Duration) then click again subject area and select Expenses.
8)     Select basic fields for Expenses (Activity ID, Activity Status, Budgeted Cost, Actual Cost, and Remaining Cost, At completion cost [optional]) then click Ok when done then click Next.
9)     Enter the destination directory and filename on Select Excel File textbox then click Next then click Finish
10)     Open the exported excel file (its should contain 3 tabs “TASK, PROJCOST and USERDATA)
11)     Click TASK tab and copy all Activity ID and paste it to PROJCOST tab-> Activity ID. Do the same on Activity Status, Original duration to Budgeted Cost, Actual Duration to Actual Cost, Remaining duration to Remaining Cost (if At completion is exported write a formula (i.e. At completion cost = Actual cost + Remaining cost)
12)     Enter Expenses Item (i.e. Dur) for all rows contained data then save when done.
13)     Go back to Primavera and select File-> Import-> Spreadsheet- (xls) then click Next (user can leave excel file open or close if doubt)
14)     Click … button and select the modified excel file then click Next.
15)     Tick only Expenses then click Next
16)     Click Import to textbox and select the Project to update then click Next then Finish.

If all input is fine an import successful message will pop up. Check all expenses tab for each activity if the imported data is all correct.

Option 3: By entering duration number as cost using resource.
1)     Define a resource (i.e. Dur) if users don’t want to define rate and use the Default Price/Unit as I mentioned in Option 1, delete the effective date under Resource-> Unit & Prices otherwise enter Price/Unit as per example in Option 1 (i.e. 1* duration = duration).
2)     Select all activity by pressing Ctrl+A (highlight all) except for milestone. Use filter for non-milestone activity if necessary then click assign resource icon or select Edit-> Assign-> Resource from the menu.
3)     Select the new created resource and double click. (These will assign resource to all highlighted activities)
4)     Check number of standard hrs/day set on calendar used (i.e. 8 hrs/day)
5)     Use Global Change to transfer duration number to budget, actual and remaining cost. (Select Tools-> Global Change)
6)     Click New and under Select Subject Area combo box, select Activity Resource Assignment (rename global change for future use)
7)     Leave If where condition blank and click then and enter the following criteria:
Budgeted Cost = Original Duration / 8 (as per sample 8 hrs/day)
And      Actual Regular Cost = Actual Duration / 8
And      Remaining Cost = Remaining Duration / 8
8)     Click Ok then Apply Change then Commit Changes then click No when prompt to save the log.
9)     Check all resources if data are correct.
You can also use export/import to excel function using Option 2 procedure but tick TASKRSRC instead Expenses. SDK, ODBC, SQL and other API interface to primavera are also can use to update this value.

Note: User can also use Option 3 procedure to enter value in option 1 then delete all resource assignment using Resource Assignment Module (Select all resource (Ctrl+A then press delete) but when confirmation dialog box popup, tick Don’t ask me about this again and click No. All value should be retain on Labour Cost under Activity Detail-> Status tab (see option 1)

For all 3 Option use Schedule % Complete vs. Performance % Complete instead of Duration % of Original vs. Duration % Complete

Benefit of Using this process:
•     More accurate than duration % complete.
•     Can be use with or without Baseline (if baseline is used make sure that baseline also cost loading of duration numbers)
•     Can be used for all % Complete type (Duration, Physical & Units)
•     Option 1 & 2 can use Activity Usage Spreadsheet and S-Curve
•     Option 3 can use Activity Usage Spreadsheet, S-Curve, Early vs. Late Curve and Resource S-Curve including histogram.

I recommend to practice this process first on a dummy project before using it to live project to familiarise the process and how it works.