Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Vs P3e various options of Percentage Complete

12 replies [Last post]
Muhammad Khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners

Could anyone help me out with various options of Percentage Complete. As in P3 we have 3 options for activity percentage Complete namely
1 Cost
2 Duration
3 Resource

but in P3e there is a bit confusion with the inclusion of
1 Performance % Complete
2 Physical % Complete
3 Schedule % Complete

Now with these available options which percentage complete to use when. Also the other issue is regarding the percentage completion at their respective summary level (like at Level 1,2,3...). I tried this on my system with 10 activities, But I am not getting right percentage complete at summary level. The results sre right only if you use resource units. Also I am not sure if all of these option can be used Simultaneously.As in P3 if you choose any of the three option i.e Cost, Units, Duration, you can get percentage complete at summary level based upon the criteria chosen.
Could anyone assist me in this regard

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Henk

In you private message it didnot contain any email reply to,
if you send me your address I can forward the file to you as a reference

Cheers

Alex
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Interesting topic i guess.

One very important tip:
Define costs at your activity you need to do this even if you only want to use manhours. I usualy make resources costs 1 Euro / Hour. Then hours and costs are equal. P3e needs costs to calculate % complete on each level.
(aswell in the current as in the baseline).
Tip 2: check if costs at completion is what you expected. when you dont want variance make a global change that set at completion equals to budget so your % complete is calculated as you expected
Tip 3: If you dont use actuals make actuals equal to (activity % complete x budget) by using a global change.

Regards

Henk
Muhammad Khan
Thanx Alex

I have received the ppt & xer files. That has really addressed the issue.
Cheers
Muhammad
Vamsi Kolliboina
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Alex,

Thanx for the ppt & .xer on %complete it’s very useful.

Cheers
Vamsi
Alex Wong
Dear All

You should received by now, if not PM me again

I did not include any layout setting in the xer file but if you display the following columns - Duration %, Performance %,and Unit Percentage, Budget, Actual, Remaining duration, and OD. It should explain how P3e is calculate performance % base on EV and how EV is added to get CPI and SPI base on unit and cost.

Cheers

Alex
Muhammad Khan
Alex

Could you please send me the power point presentation that you were just talking about. It would be really interesting to know. How can i contact you to provide you my personal email.
cheers
Muhammad
Alex Wong
Vamsi

Send me your e-mail in Private Message

I will post it ASAP

Cheers

Alex
Alex Wong
Hi

To double confirm your query.

P3e do have the % complete on Performance, Unit and Duration, if you display either of these column it will use it % complete rule on all of the activity under its summary level.

As I stated in order to summarize a mixture of % complete type the only path is to use Earn Value as the common measurement unit.

Regardless the activity % complete type P3e will calculate its Earn Value. By Summarize the earn value you can measure either by unit or cost its % complete.

If you are still unsure how P3e can accurate calculate a % from mixture of activities. I can send you a sample xer

Cheers

Alex
Vamsi Kolliboina
Hi Alex,
I understand that performance %Complete is assoiciated with EV (As EV = BAC x Performance%Complete) and there are various methods to calculate perfromance% complete.But I am not sure how other %completes are associated with EV.

I would Like to go thru’ that presentation of urs

Cheers,
Vamsi

Alex Wong
Hi

In P3e % complete is assoicated with EV

To sum all different % complete type, P3e uses Earned Value in each activity.

TO make summary work properly some conditions are nessary to work.

I had a presentation that show exactly how this work. Send me a PM I will forward the powerpoint presentation to you.

In summary it is better to use CPI and SPI for % complete summary. And it is difficult to mix duration, unit, cost & performance % @ the end of the day it is better to use a common unit - EV

Cheers

Alex
Muhammad Khan
Thnx for the reply. I alread know this bit that you have just answered. The main problem is the second part of my questions about performance and schedule percentage complete and percentage complete at summary level.
cheers
Vamsi Kolliboina
Hi,
Select PHYSICAL when U want to enter Activity % Complete manually based on the physical progress.

Select DURATION when U want to enter Activity % Complete based on OD & RD. In this Case Activity%Complete =(OD-RD)/OD

Select UNITS when U want to enter Activity % Complete based on Resource Units. In this Case Activity%Complete =(Actual Labor & Nonlabor Units)/(Actual Labor & Nonlabor Units +Rem. Labor & Nonlabor Units)

Cheers,
Vamsi