Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 v7 Define Critical Activities

5 replies [Last post]
Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hey all,

I think there may be a glitch in this version regarding the above. No matter what options I select, it ALWAYS shows in hours, never days. Can anyone confirm this, as I’m also running P6.1 & can switch between hours / days.

Cheers

Walshy

Replies

Neal Walsh
Arnold,

I’m glad yours does!! :-)

It’s not a major issue to be honest, just an annoyance more than anything. And Oracle now only have the updated (glitchy) version 2 available at their e-delivery site.

*sulks*

walshy
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Neil,

Yes...I’ve got the first release.

It’s works fine with me.

Regards,

Arnold

Neal Walsh
Arnold / Alan,

Thanks guys for the replies......BUT........

Arnold, I had already tried the option you stated and mine still shows in hours!! :( I wonder why that is??
Alan, yes I do have my units of time set to Hours, but no matter what I select, it makes no difference. This also shouldnt have any affect on the Critical Path though, as it is used for resource time, not for Activity, surely? The Durations option is for showing Activities in Days / Hours.
I also know as P6.1 (at work) is set this way ands till shows the Define Critical Activities in days.

Arnold, Can I just ask......have you got the first release of this v7? Only I know Oracle re-issued the installer Media Pack quite recently (without sql), and it’s this 2nd version I now have as I had to re-download when I installed my SSD.
Hotfix needed then for my version!

Oracle.....can you hear me?? :)
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Neil,
I think you will find that if you go to the menu Edit, User Preferences, Time Units that you will have the "Unit of Time" under the "Durations Format" set to hour.
If you change this to "Day" you will see the unit change in the "Define Critical Activities" unit box.
It automatically changes to whatever unit you decide on in the preferences.
Hope this helps
Kind Regards
Alan
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Neil,

Yes you are right, I tried this. I guess it is a bug. However, there is a workaround, you can change your "Define Critical Activities as" by pressing F9 --> Options --> General tab, "Total Float less than or equal to" it will give you in Days.

If you will go to Enterprise --> Projects --> Settings, it will give you in Hours not in Days.

Regards,

Arnold