Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating the schedule with Expected finish

5 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Dear ALL

Updating the schedule with Expected finish

While using P3, my favourite update method was : recording actual dates and remaining duration;

With P6, I have found a new method: recording actual and expected finish. AFTER updating two months with this method, I have found the following:

1.- For the first update, it was OK.

2.- Second update, I have found a lot of inconsistencies, wrong calculation on my new finish date.

Can anyone give me a clue regarding what it might happen? The use of expected finish is not reliable.

Cheers,

Replies

Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Dieter and Carmen,

I am using Expected Finish dates.
As Dieter said, you can easily filter on activities with EF in the past (I use : "EF is less than Data Date").

When you use EF, be careful not using FF relationships. In that case, it doesn’t work very well (if you are not logical and you have conflictual dates). In some cases, EF is then ignored.

Kindest regards.
Patricia
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Carmen

Expected finish is a constraint as it was in P3. In my opinion it’s independent from retained logic or progress override if EF is taken into account. It just depends on the parameter "Use...".
If you’ll update with expected finish, another item might be dangereous if you use activities longer than two periods. You might forget it, but P6 doesn’t. Just display it in a column and check or by filter (exp f not equal to "").
For many people it’s easier to say I’ll finish the... than I’ll need this many days - for my experience.

Regards
Dieter

Carmen Arape
Dieter,

Having time to search what has been written regarding “Expected finish”, I realized about two different things;

Expected finish as part of constraints: In P6.2 we have Finish On (3 types) or mandatory finish

Expected finis as part of Status.

For the latter, the schedule option needs to be modified to the following: Use expected finish and progress override.

I would recommend expected finish as part of status ONLY for procurement activities such as “ fab/delibery”. This activity normally has a duration of more than one reported period.

By doing this, I need to change the schedule option.

It seems that I will have a schedule with two schedules options. One portion with RDU and only the procurement activities with expected finish.

Conclusion: Better to update with actual dates and remaining durations.

Cheers,

Carmen Arape
Dear Dieter,

Thanks for your quick answer. It came just on time.

Regarding Schedule options, I have set up them as follow:

1)Tab GENERAL : ON: Use expected finish
2)When scheduling progressed activities use : Progress override
3)Start to start lag from : early START

Apparently is doing OK.

Let me finish with my update and issue today and I would like to share with you, when to use expected finish as part of updating method.

Have a nice day,
Ciao, Carmen
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Carmen

I didn’t realize those surprises up to now.

In using "Expected Finish" those items I found to be regarded:
1. Scheduling options: Must be switched on
2. If EF hits a date which is "nonwork" in your calendar, it will be transferred to the next working day.
3. Early or Actual Start > Expected Finish: EF will be ignored.

Maybe you’ll explain more in detail those inconsistencies.

Regards from Germany

Dieter