Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hammock ’line’ or ’activity’

9 replies [Last post]
Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
hello all,

I am a P3 user who has very recently moved over to P3e, all seems to be going well and i think i like the new interface more than P3,, my question may seem quite simple, but i would appreciate some help all the same.
I have a group of activities all sharing the same coding in the WWBS,, i would like to represent the start and finish of all of the group with what i refer to as a ’hammock’ activity that sits at the top of the group.

many thanks

Jon

Replies

Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Jon, you dont use the WBS summary for this case unless your group is a COMPLETE WBS. The start date of WBS summary is the start date of the FIRST activity in the WBS and the finish date is that of the LAST activity of the WBS even is the activities in reference are not displayed in your layout.
if you need to view the summary of any group in your layout (whether having the same code, wbs, or any other criteria) simply check the option in your group and sort window that says: Show group totals.
If you want to display this total on Gantt chart, right click on the chart -> bars -> click on the "Summary bar"
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
WBS Summary
Jonathan Ward
thanks for that info Gents,, so just for clarity, in my instance, i really want one activity bar at the very top of the ’group’ that details the START of the first activity and FINISH of the last activity (all of the activities inbetween are logic linked),, what Activity Type shoud I go for?? Level of Effort or WBS SUmmary??
once again, many thanks for all info posted

regards
Jon
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Steven is right, you do not need to link the WBS summary. you only assign the WBS and it will give its summary
Level of effort is completely different, it is a flexible activity where its duration depends on its successor and predecessor. Level of efforts need to be linked
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
It isnt necessary to "link" a WBS Summary activity
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
no problem, you can also run filters when you do printouts which will filter these off as I have found people can get confused by them and question why they are there
Jonathan Ward
Shimmo,, your the man
cheers
James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Jon
Add in a new activity in the WBS leg and change the activity type to WBS Summary - link with SS to the first chronological activity and FF with the final chronological activity, WBS Summary will autmoatically change dates if any of the detail underneath changes

Shimmo
Jonathan Ward
i believe i am asking about Level of Effort??
many thanks
Jon