Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5 - completed predecessors driving activities?

4 replies [Last post]
Victoria Tan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Help me guys.

I have just noticed a problem in my network. The predecessors for an activity are all completed a while back, yet the activity is driving beyond the data date. There are no constraints on the activity, yet it is starting in the future!
The only way around it is to delete the completed predecessors, then the activity comes back to the data date. But this is a huge job and I lose my history.
Please help.
Cheers
V

Replies

Victoria Tan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks guys esp. Paul for the comprehensive response.

After much pulling of hair, I have finally cracked it.

The schedule which I inherited has a start milestone for each area which is linked to other schedules in our company. These milestones were previously tasks with resources loaded. My predecessor converted these to milestones but did not delete the resources, most of which were driving.
As all these milestones have become actual in the past couple of weeks, they were pushing out the successors well beyond the data date even though all their predecessors were 100%.
By changing the milestones back to tasks, deleted the resources, and changing back to milestones, solved the problem.
V. strange.
Thanks again.
V

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
The following reasons are a check list of all the things that I cal think off that will cause an activity not to sit on the data date:

1. An activity calendar non work period after the Data Date
2. A resource on a Resource Driven activity with a calendar non work period after the Data Date
3. A constraint after the Data Date
4. A levelled schedule where an activity has been delayed
5. A predecessor with or without lag from an incomplete activity
6. A predecessor with or without lag from a completed activity in the future when the Scheduling Options are set to acknowledge a completed activity in the future relationship.
7. A predecessor with lag from a completed activity in the past. Check the scheduling options when a SS relationship is being used.
8. The activity is assigned an actual start in the future.
9. A relationship from another project.
10. A corrupt file which I have seen in all file types. Delete the activity and recreate it usually does the trick.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
try playing with Progress Override and Retained Logic
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Not seen this BUT a colleague I respect has.

Do you have an example you can send me?

What has Primavera said about it?