Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Software differences between P5 and P3e?

5 replies [Last post]
Ben Hall
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

I’m soon to begin a new planning job at a new company though they are using P3e or P3. I have only ever used Primavera 5.0.

Is there great difference in Primavera 5.0 and P3e/P3?

If so what are they, and which is easier to use?

Hope to hear your reply’s soon!

Regards
Ben Hall

Replies

Ben Hall
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it, I think I will be able to make the transition pretty well. I agree with you, practice makes perfect! Learning P3e or P3 will be a challenge, but that’s why I wanted a new job...for new challenges!

Thanks again & Best Regards
Ben.
Robert Lowe
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Good Day Ben,

P3 and P3e are two different software packages. Each has their own look and feel. When you say P3e, it sounds as if you are talking about an older version of P5, namely version 4.1 or lower. This is a step backwards for you, but not much and you should be able to transition quickly.

Moving from P5 to P3, however, presents a bit more of a challenge to you as it works differently. P3, now 3.1, is fully mature and a superb product, but will be unsupported by Primavera in 2010. P3 generally follows activity code structure, whereas P5 generally follows work breakdown structure. P3 is upwards compatible with P5, whereas P5 can be exported in to P3, but there will be a loss of some data such as notebook topics, steps, issues, risks, thresholds, work products and documents, and tracking layouts.

Give yourself a little time and remember practice makes better.

Best Regards,
Rob
Mark Porter
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
P5 to P6 Web Applications have huge differences between them (P6 is much better)
P3e (The Client based Application) Version 5.0, 6.0 & 6.1 are all very similar.

If you have access to the Primavera knowledgebase, you can view the differences between the versions.
Mark
Ben Hall
Hi Mark,

Actually i am using P5 now, and i have never used P3 or P3e.

I actually am using P5 over the web.

But glad to hear there are not many software changes from P5 and P3e.

Thanks & Regards
Ben Hall
Mark Porter
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Ben,

Based on what you have outlined in your post, I would assume that you are currently using Primavera P3e, in the Version 5.0 format. The difference betwen P3 & P3e is that the program changed to an enterprise based system where all projects are stored in a central database rather than individual files (as per P3)
The changes between version 5.0, 6.0 & 6.1 aren’t significant with most of the development work going into the Primavera Web Application (Advanced users would spot the differences)
Hope this helps