Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Early, Late & Actual Curves

21 replies [Last post]
armando moriles
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Need help guys...

I’ve been asked to generate the BASELINE EARLY & LATE CURVES with ACTUAL CURVE in ONE PAGE only using P6.

My programme is completely cost loaded.

I just cant generate the curve. Any help how to generate the report curves will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Arman

Replies

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
David;

No hurry here, so take your time. I was just surprised that it is not more obvious - a report entitled "early/late curves with actuals by resource", or ’export to excel’ as an option on the Resources Usage Profile.

Glad to hear that it is fairly simple. Holding my breath, but no hurry.

PS; Just finished developing a chart making macro that works with the Early/Late/Actual resource report. Requires a module for each discipline, so not all that elegant, but serviceable. Probably over-kill since constant updates, other than actuals, is not really necessary.

Still surprised that someone smarter (David) has not put this together.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Amreshwar, yes. You are correct.
Amreshwar Shukla
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ronald Winter,

How to place the Planned dates equal to late dates ? As global chages drop down parameter doesn’t have Planned dates , in fact the drop down have the Planned start and Planned Finish.

Are you mean Planned start = late start
and Planned finish = late finish.?

Thanks in advance.

armando moriles
David,

Thanks a lot...

Arman
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Armando,

No worries. You will find that even so-called experts like Paul Harris and myself are "sorry" about Planned dates.

The Planned dates that are used by any Baseline facility in Primavera are sort-of the early dates.

I would copy/paste the definition of "planned dates" from the help text in Primavera here. But every time I start Primavera I get the blue screen of death. Sigh.

Importantly you CAN change the planned dates - so a Baseline can be restored, the planned dates changed, and the project turned into a Baseline again.
armando moriles
David,

I’m sorry but I really have to ask this, the baseline or planned date or curve generated in the activity usage profile, is it early or late?

Thanks,
David Kelly
Armando,

1) baseline - its our old friend the "planned" dates

2) If the project is unlevelled, its the early dates - if the project is levelled its the levelled dates. From the current project.
armando moriles
Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your help as well as the free lectures... It is very much appreciated as it helped a lot...

I was forced to do it the old way. Generate the report using excel but the figures are coming from Primavera. I just had to format the report to almost exactly look like our regular weekly and monthly Primavera report.

Jorge,

Thanks for your help as well... But the curves in the Resource Usage Profile are only Budgeted, Actual Remaining Early & Late dates. It has no Baseline Early and Late Curve which is actually my problem.

Guys, I have another follow up questions as I tried to have a better understandeing of P6 curves:

The curves in the Activity Usage Profile:
1. Baseline Curve - Is this Early or Late baseline curve?
2. Budgeted Curve - Is this also Early or Late curve of the Working Programme & not of the Baseline?

Many thanks,

Arman
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
David

Thank you for that information, I had not discovered that problem, I will add that to my ever increasing issue list and include it in my next book update.

It took me a long time to work out how the “Planned Dates” calculated and I have pages of emails back and forwards from Primavera Systems about them. I still have no idea why they even have them in the system at all.

I find that they have introduced more date fields than one would want making the product very hard to use.

For people reading this posting and do not know what we are talking about; in summary the “Planned Dates” represent “Last Periods” status for complete or in progress activities and the “Early Dates” for unstarted activities. But their algorithms are very complicated and the dates are affected by duration changes and “Planned Dates” are used in the most surprising places.

They are used with “Progress Spotlight” therefore this software does not calculate the same way as P3, SureTrak or MSP when auto statusing a schedule. In my book I recommend that people run a Global Change to set the “Planned Dates” to equal Start and Finish change before running Progress Spotlight.

Planned Dates are also use as a baseline bar for the Project Baseline and Primary User Baseline when no baseline has been set. Therefore the “Planned Dates” are used in the baseline. So in effect one sees a “Claytons” baseline when no baseline has been set. This function is very risky and two users using the same layout but one user has set a User Baseline and one has not they will see different Baselines. Also there is the terminology confusion where now the current schedule is no longer the current schedule in the Assign Baseline form as it now refers to planned dates.

Are there any other places where you find these “Planned Dates” being used?

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
David Kelly
Paul,

Yes, I just thrill to every surprise that "planned" dates serves up. I think my all time favourite is that "auto compute actuals" works on early dates for resources, but planned dates for expenses. What a cash flow curve THAT generates!
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Armand,

I just checked the Resource Usage Profile.
It does have Early, Late, Actual and Budget curves.

You may want to try it out on a test project loaded with some activities and cost.

Best regards,

Jorge
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Armand,

Not possible in P3e. Was possible in P3.
Recommended baseline workaround looks ok.
Do you have the Web front-end of P6? It might help.

Jorge
Paul Harris
David

I agree the “Planned Dates” are a monster.

Most people do not even know that even exist net alone how they are calculated or how they are used!

Paul E Harris
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au

David Kelly
This is a bit of a monster.

My choice is to pivot the data into excel - I know no way of doing it in "str8" P6.

Also getting "early" AND "late" dates from a Baseline is not fun.

I would extend Ronald’S solution by using TWO baselnes for this, one where the "early" dates have been Global changed into "Planned" dates, and one where the "late" dates have been global changed into "planned" dates.

I can now get the Report Wizard to pivot all the data I need into Excel in one pass. Then the chart wizard does the job.

This is hardly Primavera 101....... Best of luck.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
P6 plots the curves using the dates shown in the Planned Start and Planned Finish columns. Ordinarily, the early dates are automatically placed in the planned dates columns. Use a Global Change to place your late dates into the planned columns and then re-plot. This is awfully clunky, but at least it works! Good luck.
armando moriles
Hi Paul,

So glad you spent time...

My problem is that in the Act Usage Profile options, I could only view the Actual and BASELINE Early Curve, NO LATE CURVE... In the Resource Usage Profile Options, I could view the Actual but the baseline early & late curves could not, only the WORKING early and late curves.

Regards,

Arman
Paul Harris

You might be able to do something with a Resource Usage Profile, select the resources you require, or an Activity Usage Profile, select the Profile Options and select the required Cumulative options.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Dennis Hanks
Was trying to find a way to export the data in the Resource Usage profile when I found this thread. While I did not find the answer here, this group may have the ’answer’.

Looking for a simple, straightforward way to replicate the graphs generated in the Resource Usage Profile cumulative graph by exporting the data to excel. This did not jump out from the looking at the Resource Reports or reading some of the posts under S-curve, or early/late curves.

The data is there and this should be a fairly common exercise, but I am not seeing it. Before I start trying to develop something, I want to make sure I am not ’plowing a row already hoed’. Eventual goal is to be able to plot actuals against plan by resource.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

BTW: The insight into planned dates made this trip useful.
David Kelly
Hey Dennis!

Lots of fun here. The showstopper might be that Primavera does not store earned value by resource. Clearly it has to calculate it that way, but the earned is only stored at the activity level. So if your activities have more than one resource......

So the first thing we need to know is EXACTLY what you mean by "actuals" if its timesheet hours then there is a solution. If its the work you have actually done you are in a bit of bother
Dennis Hanks
David;

They would be hours expended from timesheets, not collected from Timesheet.

I did not think I could use actual hours inside of P6.7. Did not expect to have P6 develop the actual curve, but rather export the plan and then plot actuals against them. No reason it couldn’t, I just did not think of it. Cool if we can make it happen and then set up some sort of macro (VBA) or report to export to excel to make the graph on a monthly/weekly basis.

Simple, right?
David Kelly
Dennis,

Actually yes, it is quite simple. I am under the cosh here with a bid to get out today (Planning Planet is a nice coffee break!)but Actual, late and early curves are fine.

The forecast hours to go CANNOT have current productivity applied because of the earned value restrictions at the resource level.

I can dash off a script later for you - unless Dieter is online - he will probably beat me to it!!!!