Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Multiple databases

6 replies [Last post]
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
I expect to migrate from a stand-alone Contractor 5.0 to a stand-alone P6, where I may be analyzing projects from different clients using different contractors.

Is there any advice you can give me to isolate the respective databases so that account codes, resources, and the like do not intermingle? Or will that be a problem?

In contractor, I had be be careful about how much data I imported. While Contractor is much more limited than I understand P6 to be, I think they treat the database the same. Just want to avoid any mines. Thanks.

Replies

K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Niek.
I though that license agreement will be based on database, not server. If you buy 10 license and create 10 database, you can use up to 100 license.
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
As long as you keep your databases in the same SQL Server there is no license issue.

Cheers,

Niek.
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
If you decide to work on multidatabase ,be careful with Primavera license agreement .Cause Primavera only allow license to be install on 1 database.
Thanks
Niek Zonneveld
Yeah

You need P6, which comes with SQL Server Express 2005, to do that locally.

The installation disc (CD1) contains DB utilities allowing you to create (additional) PMDB’s, also under the same SQL Server.

Hope this explains.

Niek.

P.S. It could probably also work with a full P5 with MSDE as well, but I never got that going. The problem with MSDE is that you are almost working in the blind.
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Niek;

Thanks. Since the schedules should be fully developed, I lean towards option 2. If I am not asking too much, could you outline how to setup the "separate instance"? I am not seeing that in Contractor. Again, thanks.
Niek Zonneveld
Hi Dennis,

This is all about structure.

If you set up your EPS, RBS, OBS, CAS with the proper hierarchy you can run multiple environments within one DB instance. I do the same and it works quite well.

The alternative is to create a separate instance for each client. At login you can just connect to the client you desire and work in a completely segregated environment. I use that for one client as well, but the drawback is that you need to export layouts, reports, and other enterprise data from one instance to another if you want to reuse your work. The advantage is that you are likely to make less errors, and your EPS, RBS, etc will be more "flat".

Hope this helps.