Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple Databases

No replies
Huss PS
User offline. Last seen 45 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

Need to combine two p6 databases into one database. Both are different users

first user has P6 v21.12 database.
Second user has P6 v22 database.

Need to merge the first user database into the second.

I have tried going into "Edit Database settings" > "Add a connection to existing standalone database". 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you can run 2 different versions they just have to be installed in different locations. One icon or shortcut points to version

P6 v21.12 database and the other icon or shortcut points to the P6 v22 database.

Huss PS

Thnaks David.

I found the solution with the help of oracle support and little bit of tweaks.

Here it goes..

Issue:

first user has P6 v21.12 database.
Second user has P6 v22 database.

Both machines were separate. Couldn't merge these databases as not possible so, will be using 2 databases and switch between the 2 as needed.

Solution:

-Launch P6 V22

-select "Edit Database configuration"

-select "Add" on left top

-select "Driver type" from drop down menu. Select appropriate option. I selected "P6 Professional Standalone (SQLite).

-select "Add a connection to an existing standalone database" while on this step you can also rename under "Database Alias"

-select location of the P6 Database file you want to connect to.

-click Test

-click Save

-Run P6

Note : If it gives an Error "The application and database version do not match" or Error "DATABASE VERSION MISMATCH" at P6 Professional Login then after clicking OK in the error window another window pops up prompting the user to upgrade the existing database.  Click Yes to upgrade.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 39 min ago. Offline

Operating with two versions of the P6 database on one machine is 'simple' if you use a virtual machine environment. I use Oracle's 'Virtualbox' on my dual Xeon 64GB RAM monster, but is hard work.

In general one P6 database version with the P6 Windows client MANDATORY for that database version.

I much prefer v22 to v21

Huss PS

Thanks David.

Can i add first user's database as additional to the second users' ?

I am think of working with 2 databases where i can select any one that i am planning to work on.

david kelly

This is not trivial.

You will have to export the projects from one and import into another.

BUT

XER format does not export baselines. Restoring baselines, making an XER file from them, importing into target database and then demoting them is very labour intensive and error prone.

The  XML format is extremely CPU intensive, very inefficient, and can only deal with small numbers of activities before you get JavaHeap errors. It does take baselines.

Best of luck!

david kelly

This is not trivial.

You will have to export the projects from one and import into another.

BUT

XER format does not export baselines. Restoring baselines, making an XER file from them, importing into target database and then demoting them is very labour intensive and error prone.

The  XML format is extremely CPU intensive, very inefficient, and can only deal with small numbers of activities before you get JavaHeap errors. It does take baselines.

Best of luck!