Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filter Parameter of Assignment Layout in P3E

8 replies [Last post]
Suresh Sankaranku...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I think the P3E Masters can sort it out quickly.
Q: How can i make a new Filter Parameter in Assignment Layout ?

I couldnt find any WBS parameter in assignment layout Filter dropdown box. Niether i can see the User_text1 values in assignment layout. Also i found that activity codes does not appear in the filter parameter compobox. How can we create a new parameter of filter in assignments layout. ?

Thank you

Replies

Benito Nepomuceno
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Suresh,

I tried many times to filter out specific resources. I suggest to try the ffg: use user defined field then click new>type filter name"(ex."type Filter name")>define parameters. in the dialogue box click your resource code name> "is contain" click what value. then apply to see the preview. Second, if you want to see your user define resources in the left icon then right click the mouse>click columns> add what you want by scrolling your desired codes or resources. I am not master but I hope i can help you! Cheers!

Benito
Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi Dieter,
Yes i use glober activity code. Yes the assignment from the left side icon. Yup i use P3e .Version 5. Grouping and sort i use by right clicking on.
Thank you
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Suresh
I just checked and it worked.

Do you use Global activity codes?
How do you open the filter or group&sort?
Do you mean the assignment, which are accessible by the icon on the left side of the screen?
Do you use version 5?

Regards
Dieter
Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi Dieter
I assigned the activites with the activity code but still in the assignment layout, there is no activity code visible in the filter parameters list.
Dieter Wambach
Hi Suresh

Why you don’t use the activity codes? You assign activities with a code e.g. a_workorder. Now you can easily group or filter by a_workorder.

Regards
Dieter
Suresh Sankaranku...
I Agree with the suggestions. I normally use group and sort for the WBS and all. But in that case my layout will show all WBS in the project. If i need only one WBS, how can i do here ? OR Eg: User_text1 i have made to put the Workorder number, now, I want to see the resource assignments of a particular work order only. In this senario, as far as my knowledge if the filter has the same User_text1 which i used in the activity view could be used . But thats different from activity view. Also there is no WBS parameter. Okey. Anyhow, Is it possible to create a new parameter in the Filter compobox in assignments ?
Dieter Wambach
Suresh
I fully agree with Patricia and have just one addition.
To create more different filters is done in an indirect way. A filter belongs to a layout. So you create a filter and then save it together with this layout. So by different layouts you have several filters.
Regards

Dieter
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Suresh,

The Assignments view is rich for what deals with Resource Analysis. So you can easily filter on resources parameters, but it is more difficult when you try to had other fields that are more specific to another view.
For instance, when you select the column "Start", it is the Start date of the resource on the task (which can be different from the Start Date of the Activity). If you want to see the Start Date of the activity, you have to choose the column "Activity Start".

Regarding WBS filter, I think the best way should be working with "Group and Sort" so that you can get results for the WBS element you want.
You can also add the column "WBS path", and sort on this column.

Regarding "user_text" fileds, be careful ; the "user_text1" of Assignments view is different from the "user_text1" of activity view... and I have already noticed that some "user_text numbers" are not available (already taken).

Good luck, and do not neglect this view ; it is very useful for resource analysis.

Kindest regards.
Patricia