Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Phase Budget Data

1 reply [Last post]
Hasan Atif Bilgrami
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Every one.I would be grateful if somebody help me.

I generated a Time phased Budget in P3e from Jan 07-July 07 of an activity called Finishing works (just an example).
Then i run report in csv format in order to get Time Phase Budget figures.
I sit with my Commercial Manager to see whether this P3e generated budget is realistic or not.
My commercial manager did some changes on that time phased budget ( Please note that the total Budget value is remains same,only the time phasing budget values changed)
Now, my Commercial Manager wants me to do Is to import these new time phased Budget values into P3e and then Baseline it or freeze it in order to make it Performance Measurement Baseline.
I have tried to import it to failed.
Please help me
Regards
Has

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
Well,

Primavera is smart enough to pivot data into Excel, to pivot data from Excel into Primavera you would need to install the SDK and write LOTS of low level stuff in an environment that an IT professional would recognise, but is way beyond us planners.

You have a lot of challenges here. Most significantly a single record in Primavera, for example an activity that is three months long with a single cost of £300,000 on a single resource assignment record, becomes three cells in Excel, one for each month, each with £100,000 in it. You change one of these values in Excel. You have changed “part” of the record in Primavera. The rules required by any system to change the spread of the resource record required to “paste” this into Primavera are mind boggling. You might as well have copied the data into Power Point, for all the help that Excel can give you here.

You have to find a way of doing this WITHOUT moving the data into excel.

The stunningly smart way of doing this in Primavera is to drag bars around in the Resource Spreadsheet view, this has the huge advantage over excel in that if you “fix” a dragged activity in the barchart and then schedule the plan, all the other activities’s time phased costs are recalculated based on the networks interdependencies. How could your boss even think about doing this exercise disconnected from a scheduling engine? Open your one activity example project in the resource spreadsheet view, and right-click in the spreadsheet area to access the spreadsheet fields aggregated.

Have fun!