Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cab somebody help me to import P3 PRX file to P6.0

29 replies [Last post]
Joseph Ador
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
This is a new job for me on the project and the plannet turnover the programing activities to me but the problem is he is using P3 which is on PRX file. Is it possible i can import it to P6.0? I’ve tried it but P6 can’t find the file.

Can you help me guys whose available there.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Joseph

Happy Planning!!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you do have to have the project open to change it 

Jonathan Goldsmith
User offline. Last seen 4 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Are you referring to the Project Must Finish By date? You may have to have the project opened to change it.

Have you tried exporting the project form P6 as an XER and then re-importing it as an XER might fix this as well.

Zoltan Palffy

Make sure that when importing that in the import update project options that you select modify and under Data Type: Project under calendars that you select INSERT NEW my guess is that it is using the default calendar instead of the one assoicated with the project.

Devkant Prabhakar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Friends, 

Hope you are doing well.

Recently I have got few PRX files to convert into P6. I can convert P3  to P6 by using old version of my Primavera Software but I am unable to see correct end date. is it due to calendar? I am not sure whether I am importing it correctly or not. I am following below steps- 

Step01: Conversion of .PRX to EXE and extract all P3 files.

Step02: Import files using old primavera.

After Import we can note change in project finish date. Can Anyone plz help me. I will be very thankful for this.

Regards, 

DK

Zoltan Palffy

if you are not running a 64 bit operating system you can change the file extension from .prx to .exe and the selfextractor shoudl come up. If you are running a 64 bit operating system the only way to get it to self extract is ot install a virtual windows 

here is the link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-m...

once you install that then you can extract the prx files to regualr p3 files then copy the files to your regular windows operating system and import the p3 project into p6

Ariel Malibiran
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

p6 cannot read the backup file .prx of p3. you will be needing to restore it first to p3 files before you can import it to p6.

jeoffrey reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joseph,

Better check if the default is fine with you.
Cheers,
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

One more question, if i will import now the file, do i have to choose the default configuration or i have to modify it make sure that all activities, resources, calendar, act. Id’s, and etc are still the same? Because in modify they offer what do you want to update and what to keep on the existing file.

Cheers,

Joseph
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

I think your using P6 ver. 7. Mine is P 6 ver 0 only, this software provided by the client. My software can’t manage to import it. Is there any possibility to downgrade it?

Thanks so much sir for the help. Because this is my first time to import program from P3.

Cheers,
Joseph

jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

Sent already. Please check your mail.
Cheers,
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

I appreciate it. It would be a great help to finish my progress this period.

Happy Planning!!!

Cheers,
Joseph
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

Ok, i’ll received it. i’ll convert it and send it to you one time.
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

Yes it’s an infra project. I will take over the planning & scheduling works which was done in P3. Can I give you the first week update as well to make it easy for me to use anyone of them. The first one i give you is the project baseline level 3, it’s not detailed. Because I’m having trouble in transferring datas from P3 and then check it again if some of the dates moves.

Thanks so much Jeff. I will send you 2 P3 file to convert it as an XER. I appreciate your response.

Best Regards,
Joseph
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

I opened and checked your file already and I saw what’s inside of it. It is an infra project right? Anyway, I will try to convert it to P6 XER file so it will be easy for you to open.

Cheers,
JEFF
Joseph Ador
Thanks Jeff,

Sorry for my late reply. When i try it again using your extracted file, i came up with an error after check box and prompt me to exit or do more actions. The error display as "An application has been intercepted. Please note the event code for reference AVAA4-2216-F." Can you help me how to make it done from your genius mind?

Cheers,
Joseph
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

Extracted and sent already.

Cheers,
JEFF
jeoffrey reyes
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

I think it’s better to send you the file. Because i double click it’s trying to open P6 not the extraction box. Can you give your email plss..

A lot of thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

I think it’s better to send you the file. Because i double click it’s trying to open P6 not the extraction box. Can you give your email plss..

A lot of thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

Double Click the file and a dialog box will open for extraction...or Do you have P3 installed? If you have, you can do it there. Tools=>Project utilities=>Restore. let me know. or send me the file i will extract it and i will send it to you all the files.

Cheers,
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

In the File Menu....Select File=>Import=>Primavera Project Planner –(P3)…then click next...from the P3.3.x Project Directory browse for your file...Check the box when you see it....then follow succeeding instructions.

Cheers,
JEFF
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

Did you click on the button with 3 dots? after clicking that it will show you ...Browse for Folder dialog Box.
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

I try it but i was stopped on browsing under project directory. And I cant even see a check box for my file to select. And P6 said that i didn’t choose any project to import to proceed.
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

Its on a usual folder not inside a zip file. When i come up with the project directory browsing then it stops on the folder without getting inside the folder for PRX file.

Cheers,
Joseph
jeoffrey reyes

Joseph, Did you Extract your PRX File? If not extract it and put it in another folder and browse from it.
Cheers,
jeoffrey reyes
Hi Joseph,

OK, extract it and you will find your file there.
Cheers,
JEFF
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

No, I didn’t extract it. I just copied the folder from the stick. It was a bit strange that P6 doesn’t recognize the file under the folder.

Thanks,
jeoffrey reyes
Joseph, as i said on my last post if you extract your PRX file first?...because PRX file cannot be read.
Joseph Ador
Hi Jeff,

Sorry I can’t find how to extract it since it’s already in a folder need not to be extracted just like what we have in zip files.

Can you make it clear where im gonna extract it, is it the prima to extract it or im gonna extract it to the folder which i think not possible since it’s already on a folder. Correct me if i’m wrong.

Cheers,

Joseph