Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Basic Info about P3e

5 replies [Last post]
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I’m very new to this forum and still a beginner on P3.

Just come across P3e. What are the major differences between P3 and P3e?

Thanks

norzul

Replies

Norzul Ibrahim
TQ Steve, perhaps my next project will specify Primavera 5.0...
Steve Keys
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The short answer is “yes”.

The longer answer is this. I will say right upfront that I am associated with the Australian representative for Primavera software. Over the past couple of years, while we have continued to sell reasonable amounts of P3, sales of Primavera v5.0 (and its predecessors) have far outstripped P3. We have also seen an increasing number of P3 users upgrade to Primavera v5.0 (an option granted to those with P3 licenses under current maintenance).

This pattern is repeated overseas, especially China where Primavera v5.0 represents 80%+ of all software sales there. The trend is clear; more and more new projects are standardizing on Primavera v5.0 as planning and scheduling tool of choice.

That said, many continue to work with P3 and Primavera continues to support them. I take the view that if and when users are ready to upgrade then there is a set process in place to help them, including orientation training and data migration assistance. I also believe there are many advantages to upgrading to Primavera v5.0, a subject touched on in the link I provided you earlier, but these advantages are only relevant if they matter to you and your organisation.

One last thing; some people are reluctant to make the switch to Primavera v5.0 for many reasons, some practical, some emotional, some based on misinformation and perhaps even based on perceived limitations with regards Primavera v5.0’s predecessor releases. I have found that once the user undertakes training and tries the product out in a real project environment, he / she will not often want to go back to P3.
Norzul Ibrahim
Dear All,

Based on the below link I was understood that the development of P3 will be discontinued. They are going to focus on Primavera 5.0. Below is the statement from the websites.

"Both P3 3.1 and Primavera 5.0 are project management tools that allow users to plan and control projects with a high degree of accuracy, keeping them on time and under budget. Due to technological limitations and other factors, development of P3 has been discontinued.

P3 to Primavera 5.0 Upgrade

So I should start learning Primavera 5.0 now...??

Thanks

norzul
Norzul Ibrahim
Thanks Steve

Basic Info about P3e

Steve Keys
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There have been a lot of threads on this subject in the past. I recommend that you hit Primavera’s own website first. Check the following link:

http://www.primavera.com/customer/products/p3upgrade_faq.asp#q2

as a starting point of reference. Good luck!