Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 TO P3 e/c Scheduling problem

39 replies [Last post]
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
I am working on p3 e/c 4.1 , my contractor is on p3 , he send his updated schedule in p3 format, when i import it in p3 e/c ,and re-schedule it on the same data date....my schedule shows some wrong results?

Can any body explain me why? I have checked my Admin preferences also.

Regards

Replies

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Must bow to your knowledge Philip.

Am sure all the issues we discussed have been discussed before.
Agree, love helping others out, was only trying to make a point that some of the questions are so so basic, that anyone who is a planner should know. like how to turn on a computer, and what is logic, etc etc

have a fantastic weekend there

best regards b
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Bill,

I think it is a question of the same basic questions coming up time after time. People should take the time to check previous threads sometimes, as the questions have been answered in depth before. When things are a bit slack, I normally browse through some of the older threads.

I do not have a problem with helping out, and will always answer a question if I have an answer.

Regards,

Philip
Bill Guthrie
Hi Anand

Ha, a awsome idea, if PP was set up, with Planners having membership and Wannabees as guest, having Planners take a online test to qualify. would reduce lots of 10 watt questions. Bill (note with planners at 100Watts)
haaaaaaaaaa
Anand Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Are U trying to suggest that PP should have hierarchy of forum so that undue embracement is avoided?

Just on lighter vein!
Bill Guthrie
outstanding reply Philip

think we have made a case. If one reviews some of the quires posted in planning planet, looks like many of the members are not even jr. planners, but beginners. Some of the questions are so basic its unreal.

R.I.P

bill
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi guys,

Again it is PLANNING vs SOFTWARE.

As a planner he/she must have a good knowledge on productivity rates for all the trades. This only can be achievable if the planner spend his time and observe how any particular works are carried on at site. Also the planner must know how many teams/workers required to complete the job and what is the timeframe. To master this the planner at least need to complete 1 or 2 projects from start to finish.

As for software, believe the planner can gain the knowledge after attending few courses, fully operate and utilise it in a project.

So to become a good planner, site experience always overrule the software experience.

Regards.
Philip Jonker
Hi Puneet,

As for us oldy planners, I have been writing programs in Access, for at least 8 years, and have a good knowledge of most planning software. Don’t believe computors is the domain of the young ones. I was programming engineering applications in 1972.

When I mentioned dinosaurs in an earlier posting, it is the fact that we stick to methods that work, and will work for a long time still.

Regards

Philip
Bill Guthrie
loved your response Philipb
Bill Guthrie
We are in accord in some respects

Yes a good planner should be well versed in software applications, but FIRST MUST KNOW PLANNING.

I had one guy come to teach Primavra a few years back to instruct some of our engineers with practical experience, and during his visit, something about logic popped up, he said, sorry cannot help there, do not know nothing about planning, only how to make primavera work.
Thus he was a tad useless, and had to teach the 11 national engineers planning myself and after 18 months of site planning experience along with the p3 quals, they became good jr. planners.
AND ITS UNDERSTOOD, ANYONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW THE BASIC SOFTWARE PACKAGES, has no business in being a planner. that was a unsaid assumption.
rest my case,bill
Puneet Gupta
Hi

First of all i am from earth.
Secondly i do agree planner should have good logic which come only from site experiance.

But only site experiance is not sufficient, you should have a software expertise.
Most of the oldy Planners (experianced) lacks in it.
So now i can say if you want to be a good planner you should have good site experiance and expertise in software like MS-Access.
We in primavera thinks only in one direction ...critical path.

Try PERTMASTER, its a software based on PERT & Not on critical path.
Planning is something which requires logic and not only site experiance.
Hermie LaO
User offline. Last seen 17 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

I’m from Welcom Software. Open Plan has indeed matured. I’ve used P3 and P3e(having worked directly for the company for many years).

In my humble opinion, one of the things I like about Open Plan is that it has a lot of the functionality we know and love about P3 and more, and does not have what I call the "extra fluff" found in P3e.

We know P3 users are important and developed interfaces that allow bi-directional import/export of P3 data.

check it out www.welcom.com
Philip Jonker
Hi Puneet,

Which planet are you from? :-)
Bill Guthrie
Gents- Scott, Philip- Punett
Apperciate your good feedback, and please keep in mind that I am speaking of CONSTRUCTION, not Marketing or IT or Chemicals, only construction. Do not doubt that P3E for other issues then construction might be tops. Can see a need there.

Agree with all your good comments, and again must advise a computer program is only a tool, to assist us as Planners to do our job., If one only knows a program but is not a qualified Planner/scheduler, then its a reverse ballgame.

Sad to say, have bumped into P3 Experts, Certified who could not plan a doghouse, let along a project. And many who have mastered p3 and claim to be planners. not so
Again, actual logic, getting mud on the boots, living offshore,or onshore as the case may be, sticking your head inside a 48inch line pipe, watching them lift a vessel, this is the only way to become a construction planner.
end of soapbox
PS AGREE, PRIMAVERA NEEDS TO COME CLEAN, CONFLICTING STATEMENTS THERE.
And if they had only refined and updated P3win would love it.
Puneet Gupta
Hi all

Again i would like to say both have some good as well as bad features, i am also a certified instructor for Primavera products, and currently working with a petrochemical company. As a trainer in P3V3 training i loved to say P3 E/C is much much better & in P3 e/c training my statement was P3V3 is better...so all marketing strategy....Also Primavera Marketing strategy is to sell Primavera E/c to clients, so that they can force their consultants/Contractors to use the same.
Remember that PRIMAVERA is a Global leader in scheduling software.

Regards
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill/Scott,

Bill, I don’t think the words is narrowminded, but practical.
As for the stories of Primavera trying to stop P3w and replace it with P3e or whatever, I believe that it is time for Primavera to come clean, and make a statement as to what their policy is. I believe there is always room for improvement, and there is certainly a few, that could help in P3w.

However, on the other side of the coin there is other software companies like Welcome, who I believe have stabilised their software. So we are not bound to follow Primavera blindly. I believe the greater part of marketing is finding out what your consumers want. This does not seem to be the case in the Primavera book.

Regards

Philip
Scott Tate
User offline. Last seen 15 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Bill,

I greatly appreciate your feedback and share your opinion regarding P3Win. Both the owner’s rep and the local Primavera rep have strongly encouraged me to transition from P3Win to P3 e/c. However, after polling all users I know who have 20+ years scheduling experience, all say the same thing - stick with P3Win. Two of the users polled had taken the 3 day course for P3e/c and those two were the two strongest opponents against P3e/c. Even the Primavera rep keeps telling me that p3Win is being phased out and I am going to have no choice but to switch to P3e/c. If that truly is the case, then Primavera better make drastic improvements to P3e/c so those of us in construction who are avid P3Win users don’t start a revolt.
Take care,
Scott
Bill Guthrie
Hi Philip.
Great to hear someone else shares my views, as narrowminded as I am.
And yes used Open Plan riding piggyback on Foxbase, it was soo flexable, but at the end of the day returned to p3 due to open loops allowed.
Found P3 was stable and gave me a program that I could use and present with creditibility, if something was wrong only blame the opeator, not the program.
And so many good excel spreadsheets like projecmods now, that one can really do almost anything if he masters the inport/export/edit/import capabilites of p3.
have a fantastic day from Eastern Europe b
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill,

I agree with you completely, if the tool can do the job why re-invent the wheel. I think a big problem is so-called user friendliness, ie "cater for the folks who can’t think for themselves". I evalued P3e a couple of years ago, and in my opinion, P3 was still the better tool, even though the P3e price a that stage was almost $900-00 less than P3.

As a matter of interest, have you ever used Open Plan V4 (dos)? We were still using it on projects as late 1996, long after the advent of windows. I still believe it was the most flexible planning tools I have used. The trick was that you had to be able to use dbase, which is fairly simple. Even simpler now with the advent of excel and similar spreadsheet programs. The problem was that Welcom software went the same route as Primevera, and started a new product ie Open Plan Professional, which was totally rigid, and which could not do anything near as well as OP v4, and as a result OP virtually disappeared for a few years.

We probably sound like dinosaurs, but at the end of the day we understand our discipline, and do not need these new-fangled gimmicks to improve our planning. Who cares about 16 bit and 32 bit, if you get the right answers?

Regards

Philip

Syed Ali Hasan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bill,

The reason for tossing out P3WIN if believe was due to its 16 bit architecture and as the technology improved, Primavera had to move to the 32 bit architecture or get Swallowed by other competitors.

Another reson was Portfolio management and not just project management which is the key to success as per recent trends.

I agree to you that we have very experienced users of P3WIN but I am sure they can easily learn or come to terms with P3 E&C in a matter of days. I infact give 2 days crash courses of P3e to experienced users of P3WIN to understand the new windows concepts and terminologies.

Best wishes,

Syed
Bill Guthrie
Thanks Syed

note your statement p3e is being developed, thus a statement that its still under developement.
The number one thing I feel that primavera did wrong was not building on to p3win, instead they completely went to a new product that only carried the neme p3. In doing so they excluded all the valued years planners have spent to master p3, and everyone had to start over again from scrach.

Therefore from a construction prospective, why toss a proven tool that has creditibility for a unstable new system that is under development. does not make good sense.

And chatting with the people with Primavera, P3win is there bread and butter and is here to stay.
Regards bill
Syed Ali Hasan
Hi Puneet,

By the way, it is not a book. It is a PDF document created by Primavera Systems, Inc for users who are planning to migrate data from P3 to P3e.

The book which you might be mentioning is also available from Primavera Systems, Inc has a user guide for Engg & Construction users.

I do not deny that P3 3.1 is a good solution but P3 E&C is also being developed and is better than what it used to be.

I am an certified instuctor for all Primavera Products from Primavera Systems, Inc and have provided implementation support to a different clients in different industries for the last 14 years.

Best regards,

Syed, PSP (From AACEI)
Syed Ali Hasan
Hi,

I have sent the same to couple of you through e-mail. It will be great to have your feedback as this will help the users of this thread to know the value and remove misconceptions of migrating from the classical P3 3.1 to Primavera Eng & Constrn or M&T or NPD or IT (Enterprise solution). Current version of the same is 4.1 and 5.0 (which will be released officially shortly) has really some more good features like resource planning and to top it all the UNDO function. I am working with 5.0 Beta version.

Best wishes,

Syed
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi Syed,

Me too!!! Could you please forward the PDF document to my e-mail address. sukumaransubaramaniyan@yahoo.co.uk

Regards.
Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi syed,

could you please forward that info on my mail mohdwaseemsaber@yahoo.com.

Cheers!!!!!

waseem saber
Bill Guthrie
Hi Scott

Have over 25 years in Cost and Planning, working worldwide both onshore and offshore. 10 of them as Planning Manager for a major Oil Company on offshore projects. As a P3 instructor, find p3win as a complete tool for construction allowing flexibility for planning.
I tell people p3win will do almost anything except frying chicken.

And since starting use of p3 in 1985, have yet found a construction project that cannot be handled well in p3, provided the planner is versed in its use.
cheers bill

Scott Tate
Bill,

You have confirmed what others have told me. Would you mind expanding on your background and current experience with this subject so I may expand on our side of this debate. Thanks so much for your comments.
Bill Guthrie
Scott,
recommend you get client to use p3, easy
and p3 ec is really not as good as p3 for construction.

suggest you export in 2 steps
export schedule data to database
export relationships to database

give the guy both db files and let him worry about it.
(as you can see, I do not like P3ec, only p3)Many firms who have gone to p3 e have returned to p3.
Scott Tate
Hi,

I have a similaar problem. I am using P3 and have 8 projects within 1 master schedule due to the many complex inter-relationships between them. An owner’s rep I have to report to is wanting me to separate my master schedule into 8 different project files so that when he downloads into P3e/c he can load one project at a time. My projects have codes that clearly identify them individually within my master project. So, what I did to solve the problem is set up a filter for each project within the master schedule and copied each project filter to a separate file. I then made backups of all 8 files for the projects for the owner’s rep so he can download each one as he needs to into p3e/c. My question is this, isn’t there a simpler way that P3 e/c can read this information? I’m just not a beliver in setting my master schedule up into the master project - sub-project format that the owner p3 e/c user says is required for him to properly download information.
Puneet Gupta
Hi Syed

I read that book ....but that book can not explain all these problems which comes only when you start working on it.
As my schedule is very simple, And when M/s primavera re-schedule the same schedule they find not slipping in dates, and when i re-schedule there comes .. a slppage in dates.

So its only problem setting....of P3 e/c

Regards
Syed Ali Hasan
Hi All,

There is a P3 to P3e migration guide available from Primavera System, Inc. If anyone needs the same kindly send me a e-mail at syed.hasan@cmcs.ae and I would be glad to provide you the same. It is an excellent PDF document which explains all aspects which needs to be taken care of prior to migration of data from P3 to P3e.

Best wishes,

Syed Hasan
Puneet Gupta
Thanks Ronald
but i tried all the possibilities available in scheduling Advance option.

I sent my schedules to Primavera , and according to them ...there is no change in dates when they schedule it in p3 e/c.
Something really inetersting in settings only.
I will let you know, once i discuss it with Primavera.
but really an interesting feature.

Regards
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
There are quite a few issues in P3ec where there are multiple possible settings where in P3 there is only one (built-in) setting.

The first that comes to mind is the calendar that relationship lags use. You must set the schedule in P3ec to use the ‘Predecessor’s Calendar’ if you want to be compatible with P3.

I assume that when you say that you have checked “everything” that you first compared the dozen or so CPM calculation settings. If not, then you haven’t begun to check for compatibility. Good luck!
Puneet Gupta
Interruptible Activity setting of P3 may solve the problem but there is no constrain on any activity.

Please explain how to change this setting in p3 or in p3 e/c

No resource... No cost ...so the schedule require no levelling.

I faced the similar problem in p3 e/c 3.5.1 .
In p3 i have only one calendar for all the activities. 5 days a week. Same calendar i am using in p3 e/c.
In admin prferences-> Timeperiod, i changed no of hrs as 8 hrs aday, 40 hrs a week , 200 hrs in a month & 2400.
but again the dates are slipping. even f a change these settings to some new value , the results are same.
Frank,
if your resources are restricted then the leveled schedules may be different due to the difference in the scheduling heuristics even when the initial data are the same.
Vladimir
Puneet Gupta
Hi Frank
I think moving from P3 to P3 e/c explain the features of both P3 & P3 e/c.

Regards
Puneet Gupta
Thanks to all of you,
Yesterday i talked with Primavera, they were also puzzled. No response from them yet.
My schedule is very simple, 1181 Nos of activities. No resource & No cost... only activities . Type of activities are Task dependents & Milestones.
I check all the calendars, Default calendar & Admin preferences -> Time periods. Everything seems fine.

please help me as primavera is also quite on this.

Regards

Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Ron,

Can I rephrase the question, does anyone have (or know of) a list of the features in P3 and P3e/c that are not supported in the other product that are likely to cause a scheduling differences?

Whilst we can work through the differences as they crop up, a list of things to avoid by both parties will ensure that at least the exchanging of the data is angst free.

I have a list of differences between P3 and SureTrak that I use to set some upfront ground rules to ensure we do not use features that we are unable to replicate in the other product eg. The Interruptible scheduling option is not supported by SureTrak. SureTrak also only recognizes four of P3’s nine autocost rules.

A similar list for P3 and P3e/c would benefit all PPer’s who are in Puneet’s position.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Interesting question. Instead of you looking at your schedule to determine what actually did cause the differences, you ask us to list all of the possible issues that you could be experiencing.

For one thing, P3ec does not support the Interruptible Activity setting of P3. If this setting is set to ‘Interruptible’ and you have activities that are constrained by relationships to both their starts and finish, then P3ec would display a difference.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Puneet,

I think all the codes(resources,..etc)in P3 should match with the codes in P3e/c., also you have to check for Calendar for Scheduling Relationship Lag(both in P3 and P3 e/c should match like predecessor activity calendar or successor.....).

HTH

Daya