Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"SS+Lag" or "FF"

3 replies [Last post]
Nozar Naghani
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello
Each project manager prefers to see parallel tasks instead of long chains of FS linked tasks.
Especially when tasks are not very small deliverables, there is always the choice to choose SS+Lag or FF instead of FS relationship.
Example: Instead of waiting for AFC foundation drawing, Structural design can start almost a week after start of foundation design (when calculations are available).
I always wonder which link is the best for this purpose (SS+Lag or FF).

What is your experience?

Have fun

Nozar

Replies

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
It should start on day 9 (i.e a 2 day task will occupy days 9&10 to finish coincident with a 10 day activity.

What makes you think that this would be unfavourable ?

Nozar Naghani
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hey Steven,
Thanks for your response.
In FF case, the successor task will be planned to start latest possible. Task A= 10 days, Task B=2 days. Defining B as successor to A with FF relationship, will plan B to start on day 8, which is not very favorable.
Am I right?

Nozar
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
My preference would be FF, as the start of the successor is then dicated by the progress of the predecessor.