Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 lifecycle

2 replies [Last post]
Nozar Naghani
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Pros (both P3 & P3e/ec),
I heard that primavera is not going to improve p3 or release a higher version.
I can still see large companies running more than 10 projects on P3, sticking their own methodology for portfolio management ;)
But It really looks that p3 is getting retired.

Is it time for P3 planners to start worrying about their future job and start working on P3e as soon as possible? Or there is still a few more years for P3e to monopolize the market?

I hope that this thread can give an idea about p3 lifecycle and specifically forecasting the time for everybody to switch to P3e family.

Thanks
Nozar

PS: If this subject was previously discussed, please accept my apologies and help me to find the thread.

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera has announced that no more P3 enhancement 3 years ago (I remember the announcement is in User Conference).
They move our expectations on P3 to PEC. For scheduling management skill set, software is tool only, either P3 or PEC is just help us the daily managing job.
On software skill set, PEC is far more ’complicated’ than P3, we need more concept on database, enterprise, etc. This is not only happen to Primavera, also to other software package, like Office 2003 is named ’Office 2003 System’ not software, Project 2003 need to work with Project Server 2003, Powerproject and OpenPlan move from standalone to enterprise, etc.
Shirish Borkar
User offline. Last seen 17 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Primavera is not going to change anymore in P3 version. The lifecycle / versioning of this product is stopped. Primavera is encouraging customers to upgrade their versions from P3 to P3enterprise. I think all planners/schedulers should start looking at P3e (enterprise features), though basic scheduling techniques are same in both products.

It is still fine to use P3 for smaller and less number of projects.