Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost / Budget Transfer

2 replies [Last post]
Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hey guys,

Whats the best way of moving costs from one Activity to another once completed? I have an activity that totals £9716.7, but the activity is now 100% and only costed £1316.74. I want to move the remaining £8399.96 to the Project Management (LOE) activity WITHOUT affecting the Budgeted Total Cost.

Thanks guys!!

walshy

Replies

Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply, but that isn’t quite what I meant. I know how to modify costs / resource rates and alter the budget, that’s not the issue, I wanted to know exactly how to take money out of one activity (that has completed at a lesser cost) and transfer to another. For example, I have a job that costs £100, and takes a couple of days to complete. The task actually only costs £80, so I don’t want to schedule it showing the At Completion to be £100, I want to show it as £80 then I can use the saving of £20 on another activity. If I have resources assigned to the said activity that I know havent booked any time to the Activity Code, I can simply remove them and re-assign to another Activity. I wanted to know if there was a better method for re-distribruting unused costs. The client thinks the Activity costs £100 as it was signed off as that in the Baseline Programme / Target Price, so I might as well keep the £20 and use for an Activity that may need it!

Walshy
Kevin Ton
User offline. Last seen 16 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There are two ways to assign / change cost to activities:
1. you can change the cost rate for resource which you assigned to activity to change the total cost
2. or you can directly assign cost to the activity cost budget under resource tab.

so, what you can do is to assign cost rate to first activity make the budget equal to 9716.7 and then assign the cost rate for LOE activity to make the cost budget = 8399.96.

Hope that help your question.