Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Integrated Activity Planning

8 replies [Last post]
MAHADEVAN NATARAJAN
User offline. Last seen 13 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Can any one advise what Integrated Activity Planning is-in a typical LNG Plant? What are its contents and who the input providers are [I am looking for a very generic document]
Regards

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mehavedan / Anthony,

Concerning Integrated Activity Plan

First off, as a planner, you need to identify the goals or milestones and the time line (Contractual and non Contractual) you need to achieved for each discipline/department in your organization. There will be process and procedures for each goal and you need to identify all this in your plan. For example, In a typical construction, you have Quality, Safety, Health and  Environment, Programming, QS, Procurement, Design, Engineering, Document Control, etc.  Normally, in construction there is a lot of submissions and approval required by the Client and you need to identify all this in your IAP. Once you have done this, you can now assign responsible Engineer/Person responsible for achieveing each activity task in your plan, so that it is absolutely clear who is doing what and who is responsible for the task and most important is that there is no duplication of work. If you do not know who is reponsible, you can aslways ask your PM and He is responsible for delegating the tasks.

Best regards and best of luck,

Daniel

Anthony Ghuran
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 days ago. Offline

Hello,
does anybody have any information on integrated activity planning for oil companies with offshore platforms. Do you know any companies or consultants who can help implement an integrated planning process in a company.  

Anthony Ghuran
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 days ago. Offline

hello can anybody assist me with finding out where I can get information on  integrated activity planning process.

I would really appreciate some assistance as I can not find anything anywhere on this topic.

I am trying to get my managment to buy into this but I am getting a lot of problems selling the idea.

Roel van der Sterren
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mahadevan

I have not worked in LNG plants, but provided IAP plans in Gas Sarawak and Oman that were aligned with LNG outages.

IAP plans are fed by the functional teams that identify, mature, sponsor and execute activities (e.g. maintenance, projects, integrity, minor modifications). These functions should have competent staff (orgaisation) with clear roles providing deliverables and input aligned with the IAP process. For instance 2year plans, 90d plans and 14 day plans that roll over. But it could be different time windows. It is important that different forums focus on different windows. Jorge is right, the 2 year is the money maker; without integrating two years, your 90d integration may miss many opportunities. Generally the longer time window plans contain less detail and more rolled up activities (e.g. a campaign) and the short windows content more activities. In EP industry here in Oman our 14 plans contain everything, and ur 90d plans contain typically about 15% of all (the most relevant flagged with the IAP flag in SAP).  What the content of the plan is must be agreed within your organisation. I am not sure what mode you work in (old plant with integrity issues, or full new project, or existing installation that will grow with additional capacity / projects). For your downstream gas providers it is important that your main shutdown windows (from hours to weeks) are well communicate upfront and aligned and are stable. There must be a sufficient readiness / maturity for the shutdown activities. Changes impact often negatively on resource mobilization, multiple isolations or des-integration of upstream shutdowns due to LNG late changes. Like everywhere an appropriate change control system must be in place and actual/plan performance measurement. Managers should approve and promote company standards and include relevant KPI in their scorecards. What the threshold of a change or performance should be depends on your situation and changes normally as you improve. If IAP is not in place it is a journey that involves change management and much communication. The ultimate value is for the enterprise and its third parties. The value is high but often intangible. In PDO we save over an estimated 100 mln US$ at yearly basis by doing the integration between functions, and recue risks. But for LNG the real risks are inability to [fully] deliver to promise (specs/volume) causing reputation damage which can lead to lower prices or fines. IAP is a ROUTINE CYCLIC PROCESS, whereas Shutdown Management (or Turnarounds as they are generally called in downstream), is more of a PROJECT PROCESS where often separate contracts need to be set up as opposed to call of contracts. These process need different deliverables, meetings and process standards. I would advise to sit down with all stakeholders in a brainstorm or improvement workshop preferable with a facilitator. IAP is a journey that requires effort to improve and sustain. I know a good facilitator / change management consultant if you wish.

Roel.

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

1.  What do you need to integrate:  

• a.  Shutdown Windows and POB for Execution Activities
  • b.  Major/Shared Resources capacity planning (doabiility)

2.  What are your Time Horizons and what do you manage in each?  

• a.  Medium Term - minimize deferments by integrating shutdown works across functions.
  • b.  Short Term - readiness check and freezing plans/change management

3.  What are your planning processes in terms of detailed functional planning and summarizing to an integrated plan?

4.  Who are your stakeholders and what are their roles/feed in the IAP?  Is there a buy-in from the organization for IAP?

5.  Do you generate a detailed shutdown campaign plan?

6.  How does your IAP map to your Production Plan?

7.  Since you have raised this querry about IAP, I am wondering if you have an IAP Implementation Plan that reflects your staircases to get you from where you are to where you want to be from the perspective of your organization.

I apologize if my points are too general (and therefore quite vague).  IAP is somewhat too big a topic to chat about.  Just wanted to give you some points to ponder.

Best regards,

Jorge

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Mahadevan

What you have described is normal planning and project control.

To make it work you need to prepare a detailed Bottom Up programme starting from plan level 4 and work up through level summaries.

Use ONLY FS links and no lead lags.

Go to the thread "Ban these planning abominations" for the full debate and desciptions.

Best regards

Mike Testro
MAHADEVAN NATARAJAN
User offline. Last seen 13 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Mike, the Integrated Activity Planning that I referred to is not a specific constructtion project-perhaps I did not make myself clear.
What I am lookig for, is an Integrated Activity Plan, where various departments of an organization work in unison by using an Integrated Activity Plan.
I am presently tasked with building an Integrated Activity Plan taking activities from all sections-The benefit is to avoid conflicts, repettions and identify perfect opportunity to carry out jobs that require facility outage
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Mahadevan

The last LNG project I worked on was a set of 5 slipformed insitu concrete tanks intergrated with steel liners and domes.

The plan combined the civils contractors work intergrated with the steel contractors work.

The many task interfaces was very complex - probably the most inticate project I have worked on.

Good luck with it.

Best regards

Mike Testro.