Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Windows 7 and P3 compatible?

6 replies [Last post]
Ivan Botha
User offline. Last seen 12 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone know if P3 can run on Windows 7?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 19 hours ago. Offline
As stated before P3 runs just fine on 32-bit Windows 7 but not on a 64 bit system. SureTrak does not run well on either versions of Windows 7 nor Windows 7 compatibility mode.

In order to install P3 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system I suggest you download from MS site their free virtual machine. This will create a separate window where windows xp will run. This windows xp is part of the download. There will be some software and hardware requirements but if you got a new machine most probably it will handle it. Not sure it runs in all Windows 7 versions. I am running it on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Note that compatibility mode and windows xp mode are not the same thing, the terms are confusing.

Virtual PC

You will need to install windows xp updates and a separate virus protection license, especially if you wish to run IE within the virtual machine. AVG antivirus is free, Google it, free edition is as good.
Cobi Obi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 days ago. Offline
How do I go about installing P3 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system?
Rafael Davila
Treighton,

If you have a spare license of xp from a discarded pc you can set your 64 bit system to dual/multiple boot with XP32 and XP64, you can even add any version of windows 7 or a combination that best suit your needs. Then use your software with the operating system it was designed to work with. The same goes with a new computer. You will have to work out the activation with Microsoft but can be done.

With disk partition software maybe you can install the second operating system without reformatting your disk. If you move to windows 7 x64 you might have issues with the drivers of your existing hardware such as printers, scanners, plotters, even your computer might have issues. The same goes with a new computer, you can still face issues with your other hardware.

I am not an expert but as anyone try my best, better make sure you ask an IT person.

Best regards,
Rafael
Treighton Mauldin
User offline. Last seen 14 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I am very curious to hear if anyone has had any success in using the emmulation of x32 XP on a x64 Windows 7 machine. I am currently using 2 machines on x32 XP for Scheduling and a x64 XP for CAD/Modeling/BIM/4D work.

I would really like to carry around one machine.
Rafael Davila
Please specify P3 and Windows 7 version, particularly if a 64 bits version. I believe there is XP emulation under some Windows 7 versions, some comments on this regard is welcomed as even under this emulation, Btrive might be uncompatible depending on the P3/Btrieve version.

In order to avoid as many issues my next notebook will be using a 32 bit version of windows, this also should help me get updated drivers for my hardware as some vendors might be reluctant to provide drivers for a 64 bit operating system.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
P3 runs just fine on 32-bit Windows 7. You don’t even need to run it in a compatibility mode, just install and run. (Just don’t try this on a 64-bit Windows – there you will experiance disappointment.) Good luck!