Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

differences between P3 and PM (enterprise)

4 replies [Last post]
vito Kooij, van
User offline. Last seen 10 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone help me with a document.
I’m looking for the differences of the two programs (P3.1 and Project Management (Primavera)).

It does not have to be a course, but a brief description of the differences between the two programs.

Tankx

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
If you are thinking that all a P3 expert needs to do is learn the differences between P3 and P6 in order to learn P6, then you are going to be sadly disappointed. The two programs are ‘apples to oranges’ and are not operated in the same manner. You do not plan the same, create schedules the same way, nor do you operate them the same way.

I could tell you that both have the Longest Path feature but this would not help you; they are actually computed in a different manner (the P6 literature even admits this!) Reporting is completely different (and deficient for P6 in my opinion.) There are extra and missing CPM calculation options (the F9 key does work the same way in both, though.) Leveling is different. Constraints are different. As I said before, the biggest difference is in the way that they handle dates and durations.

In order for a novice to learn P6, they should take a week-long P6 class. In order for a P3 expert to learn P6, they should take two such classes; the first to un-learn everything that they know about P3 and the second to learn P6. I have been told this by an authorized P6 trainer. Good luck!
vito Kooij, van
User offline. Last seen 10 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
I’m looking more in explaining differences between the functions of both programs. it is intended for planners who work with p3 and can get a brief explanation about P6. be should be a short and concise about features.(Other names / terms of functions)
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Other than the fact that P3 is no longer for sale, I think the biggest difference is in the way they handle dates and durations. You might want to reference a paper I co-presented at the 2009 AACE Annual Conference called, “Understanding P6 Dates.” I have an on-line version of this posted at http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/published.htm. Good luck!