Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path issues.

4 replies [Last post]
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hello All,

Is there a way to make the last activity non-critical. On a number of projects I have a critical path which includes the last few activities because they are last; and not really critical? (although I understand the logic that if they slipped the project would slip)

I have, for a work around, used project finish milestones and linked the last activity in the critical path to it to get around this (making the milestone the last activity.)

Is this the only way to get around this ?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline
You could always set a Project Finish date in the Project overview form. Then the last dates are calculated from this date.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Kevin

Logically if those activities doesn’t really drive the project then it shouldn’t be on the critical path, but then again you have to consider the intention of why you need to show those activities on the critical path. Ask yourself "Do I really need to show this?" if not then ask a senior in your project get another view.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
there’s always a last activity, and always on critical path.

if you don’t want to show it, just change the filter for critical path, add sth. like activity id <> XXXX
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin

As I understood, these activities don’t really belong to the project - e.g. warranty, later adjustments during operation...
Some companies use different accounts for those activities and a different person will be responsible.
In P3 you can create a project within the project group of your big projects. So you can put those activities into an extra project. It will have some advantages: e.g. clean project plan, proper critical- and longest path.

Hope, this will help

Dieter