Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Commitment in P3 version 3.1

2 replies [Last post]
Donny Martinez
User offline. Last seen 16 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Could anyone of you help me please on the following:

Activities:
1. Building Construction, dur:6mths, resources:Snr Project Engineer 70% for the first 3 months and Project Engineer 100% throughout
2. Road Construction, dur: 8mths, resources: Snr Road Engineer 80% for the first 2 months and Road Engineer 100% from month no 3 onwards till completion.
And so on..

Provided I’ve entered all the appropriate info above into P3 (i.e.: activity codes, durations, sequence, resources, etc):
How do I allocate that 70% of Snr Project Engineer time onto the activities? (We can do this in MS Project via ’Resource Usage’ option).

Thanks alot guys

Regards
Donny

Replies

Donny Martinez
User offline. Last seen 16 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Paul for your prompt input.

I actually use P3 much more often than MSP. It’s just that I haven’t really used resource planning with P3 to date. You are quite right, P3 would be more powerful in everything as compared to MSP, that’s one of my reasons too to develop this in P3 rather than MSP.

Anyway I think I got a better idea on my questions now (Need to play around with the ’Res Lag/Duration’ in the resources box) and this confirms that there is a way too in P3 to do what I want it to do.

Thanks mate.

Regards,
Donny Martinez
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Danny

As in Microsoft Project, assign the resource at .7 units per day when using daily resources. This is equivalent to 70%.

If you want a resource for the first two months, then make all the resources driving and then you may specify the resource lag (the time from the start of the activity to the start of the resource work) and the duration. That activity will adopt the duration of the longest resource.

You may assign a resource by assigning a dummy cost account or resource curve to the second assignment as all resources need to be unique.

Coming from MSP I can understand your problems and there are significant differences in how the products calculate. You also must understand the P3 Autocost rules otherwise you will not appreciate how P3 calculates, which is the same as not understanding the MSP Options.

When managing resources I usually find I a four times more productive in P3 than MSP, it is just a case of learning or being taught how the product works and I am sure you will find it a lot simpler to use and more productive when managing a progressed and resources schedule.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au