Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Physical Progress Measurement System

6 replies [Last post]
MUHAMMAD IQBAL
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Guys

in order to update the project we always need % complete of that purticular activity

how this % complete is being measured??

as the best practice we normally use PMS

can any guy send me some samples of Physical Progress Measurement System for heavy contruction/Roads/Dam projects

thanks

engriqbal@yahoo.com

Replies

David Benjamin
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

hi

What is the full form of PMS, what is this. Who is having this. I am also eager in this matter.

sd_benjamin@yahoo.com

sdbenjamin@gmail.com

david.benjamin@wjtowell.com

MUHAMMAD IQBAL
Hi

M/s

Neeraj & Charlie

I do respect your responses and ideas

your approach is great when you are working on small to medium value project where you are only Schedule controlling.

i was concern in EVM

where cost and time are to be controled so for such projects we are sure need a formal PMS Documents and it also depends how big is the organization.

I was only intrested if any body is working on PMS he may please send me the PMS

%WT is not great idea for Heavy Construction work like Dams ,Barrges

thanks

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

That is really a problem because you need to have the estimated quantities per items in your activities while the BOQ quantities are build-up.

There is no short cut. You have to do it the engineering way or you can drag the quantity surveyor and let him do the quantity take off since that is his job.

Also in updating progress, you need to get the cooperation of project QS to get the actual quantity in place.

Cheers,

Charlie
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Muhamad,
You are partially right. Some industrial projects have very less value of Civil works compared to overall project value. In such cases BOQ is not detailed down to formwork, rebar and concrete.

But quantities are always available. How else did you quote for the project? In any case, you have "Good for construction" drawings which should be used for QTO. This is QS job as charles said.

As a last resort, if you really don’t get quantities in time, but still want to measure Progress, you can set weightage points. This is purely based on experience.
I do it for progressing Procurement activities.

MUHAMMAD IQBAL
Hi

Neeraj

My dear sir

in BOQ there are only pay item but while executing some task there are some of activities that normally are not present in BOQ for this we need PMS

Example

"Lay of Grade Beam Concrete"

in BOQ only available Item is "concrete"

before the concrete there are

activity like

Layout marking.

Fabrication of Formwork

Fabrication of Steel bar/Rebars

Epoxy coating to Rebars

Fixing of Rebars
Installation of Forms
and then Pouring of Concrete(can be found in BOQ)

Removal of Forms
Sparying of Curing Compound

so how you will monitor other activities

this is one example

but if go for big project like

Barrage ,Dam. Air Port or some High way ,Cross Country Pipe line You should have to develop PMS for monitoring

i hope u got my point

if any body can have i will appreciate

have fun

Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
This would easily fill a book.
pretty basic thing is to go by your Bill of Quantities. or identigy the total scope of work from drawings and measure actual against that. basic as i said.